Post Thanks / Like
    Hey whats up everyone?

I had an interesting question...I was wondering what I could use to disinfect my whole interior as there is a bad bug going around, and some people who were/got sick were in my car!

Whats the best/safest/non harmful thing to use on the interior to disinfect (kill viruses)? I`m referring to plastics, and also leatherish stuff such as shift knob, and steering wheel.

Also what is the best way to disinfect a cloth seat?

The bug is some type of stomach flu, and it might be anal to disinfect most of the front of the car, but i guess its better to be safe then sorry

Thanks in advance, I love this place!

Post Thanks / Like
    Well the first thing I would do is use some of this stuff.

I really like the stuff. I use to have a moldy smell comming out of my vents. I sprayed some in the vents a few times and the smell is gone Ozium Spray acts as both an air sanitizer and deodorizer to reduce bacteria and odors.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you have access to a vapor steamer that would be the best way. THe burning hot vapor kills most bacteria etc and santizes while it cleans...if you wanted to get nuts you could clean just about every surface with it including seats, headliner, etc.. Otherwise I think you could just hit the car with a heavy shot of lysol everywhere, then come back a half hour later and clean/protect the interior..lol..seems like a lot of work but getting sick stinks too

Post Thanks / Like
    Spraynine kills most microorganisms. It is usually available locally.
    Brad Will- Owner

Reflections Auto Salon LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    i would only be concerned with the common areas that are touched...door handles (interior), dash, arm rest...if you have leather then all of that. any of the bugs that landed anywhere won`t live very long anyway...so just hit the important spots.

2007 Lexus IS350 | Tungsten Pearl

2012 Honda Accord LX-S | Polished Metal Metallic

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by paradigm
    i would only be concerned with the common areas that are touched...door handles (interior), dash, arm rest...if you have leather then all of that. any of the bugs that landed anywhere won`t live very long anyway...so just hit the important spots.

What do you mean by the wont live very long? They die? I thought they are there until I clean them somehow...

Also would Lysol disinfectant work on leatherish surfaces and hard plastics?

Post Thanks / Like
    A bad stomach flu such as the noro-virus, will not just die. The lysol should work, but may not be friendly to some of the plastic surfaces.
    Brad Will- Owner

Reflections Auto Salon LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    Lysol is alcohol (ethanol and some isopropyl), so if those aren`t friendly to plastics, then you might have trouble.

Of course, it might not be as harsh, as say, straight isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol... but straight IPA is sure to disinfect what it touches.

Post Thanks / Like
    Are any of the disinfecting wipes ok to use?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by brwill2005
    A bad stomach flu such as the noro-virus, will not just die. The lysol should work, but may not be friendly to some of the plastic surfaces.

correct...i should have been more specific. it depends on the type of virus or bacteria that is sitting on the steering wheel, etc. HIV would last minutes or seconds outside a host...the norovirus could last a week or more. bacteria would be much less likely to last very long since they require stricter environments (humidity, temp, etc).

so, just hit the areas that you actually touch and follow recommended practices like washing your hands frequently. if the bug is airborne you will already have it, most likely...especially in a closed environment like a car.

2007 Lexus IS350 | Tungsten Pearl

2012 Honda Accord LX-S | Polished Metal Metallic

Thread Information