Post Thanks / Like
    Collinite 476s vs Collinite 845 or Meg`s #16?

Has anyone compared these three? I`m aware that some people have compared the two Collinites but I`m curious
    PARK AVENUE

- D E T A I L I N G -

Ottawa Canada

Post Thanks / Like
    I am interested as well. I was looking into buying some Collinite 476s as Meg #16 is hard to get a hold of. Interested in seeing some other opinions.

I would also like to know the comparison of the depth or wetness of the shine provided by each.
    What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it`s all about???

2005 Jeep Liberty Limited 4x4...1967 Ford Mustang Coupe...2001 Audi A4 1.8T

Post Thanks / Like
    I have not compared the products you mentioned, but can give 2 cents on 476...

I finally decided recently to get some 476 after AG started to sell it and I wish I had gotten it a long time ago. For the last (almost) 2 months I`ve had 476 (x2) on my car and am extremely happy with the deep gloss that it provides. I can`t attest to the durability as I`ve topped it with Crystal Mist a couple times then last night topped it with AW (have not seen in full daylight yet, but in the garage the 476/AW was looking awfully sweet!)

Tradtionally have stayed away from wax as my LSP and have preferred to keep piling on sealants to increase the durability. However, believing what everyone says about 476`s durability and loving the looks of 476 on my dark blue car, I have no plans to deviate from 476 as my LSP of choice in the future.
    Have Fun!
    Docker

Post Thanks / Like
    I doubt you will find someone here that can give you an absolute. The three that you metioned go for so long that anyone on this forum will get bored and re-top.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by yakky
    I doubt you will find someone here that can give you an absolute. The three that you metioned go for so long that anyone on this forum will get bored and re-top.

Then I have my answer then. LOL
    PARK AVENUE

- D E T A I L I N G -

Ottawa Canada

Post Thanks / Like
    Im suprised #26 dosent get mentioned for durability much.

My last application was november 22nd on my DD and my paint is still beading like a champ after all this rain, ice storms, snow and salt.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have used both #845 and #16 and agree that both last longer than I can go without adding another layer. I prefer the look of #16 on my silver car but might would go with #845 on darker colors. Beading is unbelievable with both but the edge their might have to be with #845. Both are great values IMO.

Post Thanks / Like
    While I haven`t done a direct side-by-side with all three products, I`ve had various combinations of them (two at a time) on a few vehicles.

The 476S lasts longest, period- longest beading, longest slickness. I find the 845 and #16 are too close to call but the 845 does hold up better on high-stress items like wheels. Oddly enough, on some painted plastic panels (e.g., the A8`s bumper covers) the #16 lasts a good bit longer than the 845 :nixweiss

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    While I haven`t done a direct side-by-side with all three products, I`ve had various combinations of them (two at a time) on a few vehicles.

The 476S lasts longest, period- longest beading, longest slickness. I find the 845 and #16 are too close to call but the 845 does hold up better on high-stress items like wheels. Oddly enough, on some painted plastic panels (e.g., the A8`s bumper covers) the #16 lasts a good bit longer than the 845 :nixweiss

I know you are a very big fan of 476 and 845 . Of the two, which one is the easiest to apply?

This is a tin vs liquid question, the liquid I would assume, but I really don`t know.

If I`m not mistaken they are basically identical in there look and longevity.

Changeling

Post Thanks / Like
    The 476`s durability is actually better than that of 845. The 845 would probably be easier to apply, but the application of 476S is not bad at all (476S is what I use).

Post Thanks / Like
    Big fan of 845 here. No experience with the other two so I can`t comment on those. At 3 months on my car the paint still has decent slickness, a *very* nice retention of its freshly applied look, and nice beading. Of the LSP`s I have tried, including both sealants and waxes, Collinite holds it`s freshly applied look for the longest. It still has that "thick" wetness when viewed at an angle(keep in mind this is a silver car), maybe just a drop off in crispness of reflections after 3 months. No big deal, though. A top notch product for sure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Changeling- Between the 476S and the 845, I can only second what mikebai1990 said. But I too prefer the 476S as I don`t mind paste waxes and appreciate its greater durability.

Post Thanks / Like
    One last question regarding layering of these products.

If you have a layer of 476s can a layer of a wax like Chemical Guys be put on as a topper?

Would there be layers of both products or would there be a chemical reaction between the two?

Changeling

Post Thanks / Like
    My take, already posted in some therad a while ago:

Collinite 476S: 4 - 7 months, depending on conditions (average ~6 months)

Collinite 845 IW: 3 - 6 months, depending also on conditions (average ~5 months)

Meguiars #16: 2 - 5 months, again, depending on conditions (average ~4 months)

Average, any of the 3 will go past 3 months easily. I stopped toppping as I noticed that I was getting less durability once I topped.

Alex

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Changeling
    If you have a layer of 476s can a layer of a wax like Chemical Guys be put on as a topper?

Would there be layers of both products or would there be a chemical reaction between the two?

I`ve used Souveran over 476S with no problems at all, but, noting Alex Ruiz`s experiences with toppers compromising durability, I suppose it`s all gonna depend on the topper. Never tried the CG`s wax.

FWIW I`d usually rather have a few more layers of 476S than fewer layers of it with some beauty wax on top. See how it looks after three-four coats of 476S and remember that any topper will almost certainly mess with the unique Collinite beading characteristics. Also, I wonder about the degraded beauty wax being on top of the still-healthy Collinite...after a few months it might look worse instead of better (compared to straight 476S).

Thread Information