Post Thanks / Like
    Well I had a fun one this morning when a car in front of me kicked up what I believe was a license plate that hit my car. I thought it hit just my windshield, but once I inspected it at work when it was lighter out, I found a nice foot long scratch on the hood along with few marks on the windshield. I`m pretty hopefull by looking at the marks on the hood that it is all paint transfer, especially since the plate hit the car flat. Most on the windshield looks to be paint as well except one possible scratch. I called my insurance and they verified that it would be covered under comprehensive, which I have a zero deductible. I really don`t want to deal with getting the car repainted, so I`m hoping it will just be paint transfer and light scuffing that I can polish out.

I had posted this on another forum and someone suggested cutting a deal with the insurance company to pay me for the work of buffing it out instead of taking it somewhere for a higher cost. I think I want to try this if it looks like the paint hasn`t been compromised, as well as the windshield. Has anyone here gone this route, and do you have any advice for when talking with the agent?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimm

I had posted this on another forum and someone suggested cutting a deal with the insurance company to pay me for the work of buffing it out instead of taking it somewhere for a higher cost. I think I want to try this if it looks like the paint hasn`t been compromised, as well as the windshield. Has anyone here gone this route, and do you have any advice for when talking with the agent?

There`s NO deal to be worked out with your insurance person. They owe you face value for the repair. It does not matter weather a shop does it or you do it yourself. They can`t pay 2 different amounts. If I were you, I`d go to a few shops(detail or body shops) and get quotes for the repair. Present the quotes(higher ones) to your insurance company and have them cut you a check. I pay claims to people constantly that want to do the repairs themselves and I would get in major trouble with the higher powers if I discriminated costs.

Also, if they pay to buff the scratch and you do so and then there is still a trace of damage to the paint, have them next pay you to repaint the panel. If the scratch is too deep and you have to take down an unrealistic amount of clear that weakens your finish, that constitutes repainting(reclearing) too. I`d still get paid for the repaint even if you can live with the tiny scratch and don`t want it repainted. $$$

What you could also be up against is weather or not you have a leinholder on the vehicle. It is the insurance company`s responsiblity to protect the leinholder before you. They might cut a 2 party check. Good luck cashing it.

Let me know if you need help. Michigan insurance is my specialty.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I think I`m going to do the claim. I`m not sure how well I could get it to look. Hopefully they will pay for a repaint. See my other thread for the damage. The car is paid for, so there`s nothing to worry about there. If it matters, the company is State Farm. In the past they send a check to whoever does the work. So if I just get a couple quotes, they will just cut me a check if I want it? That would be nice. I could try to fix it, and if not satisfied, take it somewhere for the repaint. Thanks for the info.

Thread Information