Post Thanks / Like
    Hello, I`m new to this board. I`ve been reading the threads for a while now and was hoping to answer my own questions, but have the need to post it just in case...

I have an `86 Carrera with an iris blue metallic paint (light blue metallic and I believe it has a clear coat) the condition of the paint is good for its age but has many swirl marks and a few scratches here and there. I am anxious to do my first detail. I have spent a lot of time reading but still a little confused. Here is a list of my products (the last three products were bought before the Autopian enlightenment):

Meg GC Wash

Meg Clay

Meg #80

Meg #7

NXT wax

NXT spray wax

Meg GC Wax

Klasse AIO

Meg Cleaner Wax

NuFinish

Black Magic Wax

PC with all LC pad varieties, MF towels, bonnets, wool.

My plan is to wash and clay, use LC orange pad with #80 to remove swirls, then I`m not sure where to go next… I was thinking #7 with the white pad, then NXT with the grey pad, then #7 again but by hand??
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by subtone
    ..My plan is to wash and clay, use LC orange pad with #80 to remove swirls, then I`m not sure where to go next… I was thinking #7 with the white pad, then NXT with the grey pad, then #7 again but by hand??

Welcome to Autopia. I really like that series of 911 :xyxthumbs

After the #80/orange you may well have to follow up with #80/white, sometimes the orange leaves micromarring, sometimes it doesn`t.

The #7 is just oils/etc., like makeup for paint. You *might* notice a benefit from using it after the #80 but #80 leaves a lot of oils/etc. of its own. I generally prefer applying #7 by hand but you might like doing it by PC. Remember that #7 is nonabrasive, the name/label doesn`t really make this clear.

After the NXT, *I* wouldn`t apply more #7 over top of it. I know some people do, especially right before shows, but I wouldn`t do it as IMO the #7 will just sit on top of the NXT waiting to get washed off (maybe by the next rain ).

Get the finish as good as you can with the #80, see if the #7 is worth doing (do a test spot), apply the NXT, and call `er done.

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks for the advice. I`ve seen some recipes on the board for silver paint. With my color, which does have silver in it, but is deeper from the blue. Is there a prefered recipe, (list of products) that would make my blue pop out or is the #80 and NXT all I need. What about the Klasse product, when would I apply that? (Sorry for all the questions). Should I just throw the Nufinish in the trash?

Thread Information