Post Thanks / Like
    This is a great site to learn about auto detailing. I appreciate that people with experience take the time to explain things to newbies like myself. I`m a recent PC7424 purchaser and former NuFinish user! I used PS21 Paint Cleanser on my 96 Olds Aurora (silver) with the white pad. It didn`t remove any swirls, not that I expected it to, but as I go along I`m sure I`ll try more aggressive treatement. I`ve used Klasse AIO & SG, & Blitz wax in the past (applied by hand).

I enjoy reading all of the threats and doing searches, etc. One thing I haven`t found basic discusson on are the differences between using paste vs. liquid wax. As a newbie, I work under the impression that pastes in general are better to use as they provide better durability and gloss over a liquid, and liquids are best for ease of application.

From the threads I`ve read where the PC7424 can be used to apply both. Whereas I am running out of Blitz paste, and looking to try something new perhaps, or not, any thoughts about paste vs. liquid wax?

Eagerly looking for your replies. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    If you`re looking for ease of use when applying via PC, I actually think pastes are easier to apply vs liquids. It`s sometimes a pain to get a pad primed properly with a liquid wax, but with a paste, you can just pop it out of the jar and spread it on.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you`re looking for ease of use when applying via PC, I actually think pastes are easier to apply vs liquids. It`s sometimes a pain to get a pad primed properly with a liquid wax, but with a paste, you can just pop it out of the jar and spread it on.

I guess I`d have to disagree since most polishes and compounds made for machine polishing are thick liquids.

For me personally, either work just fine - it`s just that liquids are easier to apply to the pad.

Post Thanks / Like
    litebulb99- Welcome to Autopia! Glad you find the site so helpful.

You`re right about the general (functional) differences between the two types of wax, but I never found liquids to *really* be significantly inferior with regard to gloss.

As for durability, you`ve proably seen references to Collinite`s 845 Insulator wax, which offers great looks *and* durability. IIRC they now call it a "paste" but after you shake it up sufficiently it turns into one *very* thin liquid.

I too generally prefer paste waxes, including by machine, but a lot of that is my generally old-school approach to this stuff.

On my Blazer (on which, as it`s the family beater, I`m willing to do a little experimenting), I did much of it with Collinite`s 746S paste and portions with their 845. Both are very good products, and you might find it interesting to play around with a similar paste/liquid comparison (another example: Meguiar`s offers their #26 in both liquid and paste versions). IMO you won`t know what you really like until you try a few things, but I sure won`t be surprised if you end up preferring paste waxes.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think liquid vs paste boils down to personal preference in regards to ease-of-use. Liquids are easy to apply to the pad, but paste can be as well assuming that the paste block slides out of the container. What is also important to note is that not all paste waxes are the same as their liquid counterparts. Case in point, Souveran paste wax is a completely different product than Liquid Souveran - Only the manufacturer knows why they chose to go down this path of confusion.

Post Thanks / Like
    Generally speaking, I prefer paste waxes... :grinno:

Quite honestly, with a PC + 4" pad setup, I think paste waxes are easier to apply and I find I waste less product than with a liquid. YMMV but thats what I prefer.

- Andrew

Post Thanks / Like
    My personal preference is paste waxes, however I generally always apply waxes by hand as I just prefer to do so. There are, as mentioned above, little difference really in the finishes between equivalent liquids and pastes (eg Megs #26) so it really comes down to what you prefer to use at the end of the day.
    "A thing of beauty is a joy for ever: Its loveliness increases; it will never pass into nothingness; .... "

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like
    generally speaking paste waxes tend to be more durable

Post Thanks / Like
    2.5rs that is detailer heaven!
    2011 Winter Frost Nissan Maxima SV-Sport

2012 Black Toyota Highlander Limited

Club: Flex Member

Post Thanks / Like
    any other comments?

Thread Information