Thread: Scuffs happen

Post Thanks / Like
    I’ve learned a bit about scuffs/light marring on the hard plastic interior pieces in our vehicles. First unless you take drastic measures, which will probably make things worse you, cannot “make them go away. “ The plastic has been permanently changed even though the change may be hardly visible.

Somehow the dash on my new 2007 Dodge Ram got scuffed. Don’t know how or when for sure. That doesn’t matter. What matters is how to hide the scuff a bit and then “live with it†unless I want to spend big bucks and replace the dash and even I don’t have OCD that bad.

I was driving the truck when I first noticed the scuff. I tried the old “finger and spit†method and tried to rub out the scuff. Guess what. That made it worse. I must have pretty abrasive fingers. I tired several protectants – all Meguiar’s. I think that Meguiar`s probably has the most complete line. I tried Meguiar’s #39, #40, Natural Shine and NXT Tech Protect. The NXT Tech Protect ended up doing the best job of masking the original scuff and the area that I made more shiny with my “finger and spit†repair attempt. The NXT polymers may be what do the job. I’m not sure.

As it is now, I can see the scuff only when light hits it in a certain way. Most passengers would never notice it. The truck has almost 5,000 miles on it so it’s not new anymore. Scuffs happen.

Any suggestions for using something better to mask the scuff?

Tom
    2 white Tacomas and 2 black Harleys. I got half-way smart.

Post Thanks / Like
    A old piece of carpet?

Sorry I couldn`t resist. Must be something in my coffee this morning.

I`d try Meguiar`s Quik Interior Detailer. Leaves no gloss, just a new look.

I hate gloss on my dash.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jfelbab
    A old piece of carpet?

I hate gloss on my dash.

I second that. I just detailed my dash and interior with it and it does just that.
    2019 Ford Fiesta ST
    2018 Honda CRV AWD

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jfelbab
    A old piece of carpet?

I hate gloss on my dash.

Actually I briefly thought abut a "new" piece of carpet (as in dash cover) but the mar certainly is not that bad. The area also lends itself to a piece of vinyl that would match the center console vinyl. It all depends on my level of OCD. For now it`s OK and soon I`ll move on to other flaws

The NXT Tech Protect did not make the dash glossy. I applied it with a foam pad and let it sit an hour or so (the garage is pretty cool) and then I wiped it with a microfiber cloth.

I also use Meguiar`s Quick Interior Detailer. It was the first product I tried. It didn`t seem to have any "masking" properties.

My coffee this morning has been "straight" -- all seven cups.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    tguil- Rather than trying to offer you any advice, I`m gonna *take* your experience as advice; sounds like you`ve done well at minimizing how much it shows. Noting that I`m OK with our dogs riding in most of our vehicles, yeah, "scuffs happen".

Post Thanks / Like
    Its crazy that it scratched that easy? My Jeep must have a fairly rough dash.. it would never scratch that easy.. Sometimes its covered in dust that gets rubbed all in and its fine.. Not the chrome around the gear shift and stereo.. Gotta be alittle careful around it.

Post Thanks / Like
    FWIW, dash and door panels are painted (dyed) vinyl. If you go at them with anything too abrasive you will remove the coating and see through to something really ugly. They can be resprayed if the issue is to gross to deal with.

Post Thanks / Like
    I deal with scuffed panels all the time on late model BMW`s at the shop I work. At first, I tried APC and a boar`s hair brush..no good, then APC and a stiffer brush...still no good. The shop owner showed me how to remove the scuff`s BUT you have to be: quick and careful. He squirted some solvent (paint thinner) on an old terry towel and "lightly" swiped the scuff. I mean lightly! Then, went back with some APC to neutralize. The plastic is dyed (so is the vinyl) and the solvent takes the scuff out...but if you rub too hard or let it soak...you`re going to permanently mark that area.

Toto
    2003 Mustang Mach 1

Post Thanks / Like
    I think that the color (grey) on the plastic of my Dodge truck is solid through the plastic. I could be wrong. However, I`m not ready to take something too strong to it to find out. This scuff did not actually scrape off any color. When you look at the scuff "straight on" you cannot see it. However, when light hits it at a one certain angle, it shows up almost like a shadow.

The plastic has a texture to it and the scuff *slightly* altered the texture a bit. Some of the "bumps" were flattened a tiny amount. Yes, I used a magnifying glass in bright sunlight to see this.

My wife has a 2005 Tacoma 4X4 with a grey interior. She`s not all that careful of the interior and what she puts where. Her Tacoma`s interior is also scuffed a bit. Funniest thing, when I drive the Tacoma, I don`t notice the scuffs anymore.

I have a friend who is an excellent pro detailer. I might ask him about it. However, I know what he will say -- "Tom, you are to damn fussy. It`s a truck."

My final plan -- Don`t look at the dash when the light is coming in from that certain angle. And keep using the NXT.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    you can just put a piece of duct tape over it:nervous: :grinno:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LangMan37
    you can just put a piece of duct tape over it:nervous: :grinno:

That would look better than an old piece of carpet, right?

Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    My dad had our clear bra installer cut a few sheets of venture shield for the plastic panels that you bring your feet over to get into the car. He has a new acura rl and it has a light grey interior so it shows a lot of scuffs. So far so good

Thread Information