Post Thanks / Like
    I just bought a new car and the dealer is trying to sell me this paint sealant called "Magnashield." The brochure says it`s a "special scientific formulation of polymers and silicones that bonds to the paint surface," supposedly eliminating the need for extensive waxings. Has anyone heard of this stuff? There is no website for the company that makes it. I assume it`s a brand of sealant that is advertised in many different forms... Is it necessary? What kind of chemicals are used?

The other part of this offering is some kind of inside fabric protector that "seals" each individual fiber. The want $695 for the whole thing. My instinct says "no" but I would love some advice!

Thanks,

Rossman

Post Thanks / Like
    trust the force, my son.say nooooooooo.those sealants are bull.well for $695 anyway.buy you a good sealant (i really like Meguiars #21) and put 2 coats on yourself.#21 is only like $20 or so and it has "polymers and silicones that bond to the paint surface"too.

Post Thanks / Like
    no you dont need it....save your $$$ and research on here, any quality sealant talked about here will protect your car just fine

have a search for zaino or klasse theyre both good sealants

Post Thanks / Like
    BUYING A CAR? STEER CLEAR OF `THE BUMP`

You`ve just gone 15 rounds with your local car salesman, and you`re still standing. In fact, you might be feeling like you clobbered the almighty dealer by knocking a few thousand dollars off the sticker price. But you now unknowingly stumble into a second ring to spar with the ``business manager.`` Here, the dealer hopes to even the score by peddling an extended warranty, rustproofing--even life insurance. Before you know it, you`ve saved nothing. In dealer parlance, you`ve been ``bumped.``

DRESSING UP.

The oldest ploy and biggest ripoff is something dealers sell as a ``protection package`` but among themselves refer to as ``rust and dust.`` This is a $350-to-$800 service that comprises rustproofing, fabric protection, undercoating, and paint sealant. Not only is the price exorbitant--it costs the dealer only about $50 to $100--the treatments also can damage your car.

Although many of these high-cost add-ons remain popular, consumer advocates warn buyers to steer clear of the bump. ``You shouldn`t play games after you`ve agreed to the price of the car,`` says Gillis. So when a dealer suggests a little something extra for your own protection, appearance, life, and safety, just say no.

You can buy everything you need to apply a high quality sealant to your paint for $50, and a can of Scotchguard for $10. Dealer add-ons are a COMPLETE ripoff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, guys. You`re awesome. It`s good to know the instinct meter still works!

Post Thanks / Like
    You can go down to any Wal-Mart, Target, or Pep-Boys and get plenty of different kinds of "special scientific formulation of polymers and silicones that bonds to the paint surface" .

Post Thanks / Like
    Yup

Use that same special scientific formulation of polymers and silicones to bond your money to the inside of your wallet:bolt

RET

Post Thanks / Like
    This reminds me why I hate car dealerships...
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    spend half that much and you`ll have a PC, pads, polishes, towels, waxes, sealants...enough for years.
    2007 Lexus IS350 | Tungsten Pearl

2012 Honda Accord LX-S | Polished Metal Metallic

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by paradigm
    spend half that much and you`ll have a PC, pads, polishes, towels, waxes, sealants...enough for years.

Wise Words.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by paradigm
    Or hang around here, get the addiction, and wind up spending more just to keep trying different stuff. :waxing:

Thread Information