Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Guys,

The aluminum trim in the interior of my car near the shift knob has developed some fine scratches.

Is there a good product out there to eliminate or reduce the fine scratch marks?

Post Thanks / Like
    First, are you positive it is real aluminum and not a coated metal or plastic? The way to tell is to rub some aluminum polish on it (in a small area) and if your rag comes up withblack residue then you have aluminum. If not then you have another material and it`s best to then check with your dealer as to just what it is.

If it is aluminum the best metal polishes I have used for fine metal polishing are "English Custom Polishes". You may want to look at "Restore" and "Show Blend". Use the Show Blend first as it is very mild and may be all you need. If not try the Restore and then finish with the Show Blend.

If you find out that it is another material, most likely a plastic coating, you can use a number of paint polishes like Menzerna FPII, AIO or Optimum Polish or also a plastic polish like the Novus system

Anthony
    "The Art & Science of Auto Detail"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Orosco
    First, are you positive it is real aluminum and not a coated metal or plastic?

Anthony
    My car is a 2003 BMW M5.

Does anyone know if the aluminum trim is real or coated plastic?

Post Thanks / Like
    This is just an educated guess but I`m lean towards real aluminum. The aluminum trim in our Audis is real and I bet BMW builds to that level too. But before you get out the polishes I`d find out for certain whether the pieces are clear anodized.

Note that many such pieces on high-end cars (dunno about BMW`s) *are* clear anodized, and clear anodizing is some pretty fragile stuff. I leave the marring on our Audis` aluminum trim alone for that reason; I don`t want to accelerate the failure of the anodizing, which will probably happen soon enough anyhow (the exterior pieces seem to eventually get compromised no matter *what* do you and I`m betting the interior ones are just as fragile).

Post Thanks / Like
    If it is fragile then I question whether it`s really anodized. The purpose of anodizing is to give a hard, more durable surface since aluminum is a softer metal. Anodizing actually is more than just a coating, but actually is made part of the surface of the metal. Even if you do somehow remove the anodized surface, you should be able to polish the bare aluminum. But you would want to try and put some kind of clear coating on it because it will gouge easily.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimm
    If it is fragile then I question whether it`s really anodized. The purpose of anodizing is to give a hard, more durable surface since aluminum is a softer metal. Anodizing actually is more than just a coating, but actually is made part of the surface of the metal. Even if you do somehow remove the anodized surface, you should be able to polish the bare aluminum..

No question, the trim on the Audis is anodized and it`s fragile (years of first-hand experience including replacement of parts under warranty and discussions with Audi reps about it). I`ve had "mil-spec" anodizing (on the Mallett`s HRE wheels and *lots* of non-automotive surfaces too) that was a lot tougher, but you still don`t want to abrade it or it`ll fail. But "fragile" is a very relative term and yeah, most anything is a lot less fragile than bare aluminum.

Clear anodizing "clouds" in a blotchy way when it`s compromised and I`ve never tried deliberately going through it to the bare metal (not a feasible approach on the pieces in question). FWIW, it seems to be a lot more fragile than pigmented anodizing, could be a matter of high/low solids content :nixweiss

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    This is just an educated guess but I`m lean towards real aluminum. .

Could the BMW trim be metal coating on top of plastic?

Post Thanks / Like
    greer- Sure, it *could* be...but I`d still expect it to be real metal. Metallic coatings on plastic are usually pretty fragile too, they`re just "vacuformed" layers of the metal or something like that (forget the specifics) on top of the plastic and I`ve never been able to corrrect marring on those coated-plastic surfaces (the Jag has them for the headlight surrounds).

I guess the best way to find out would be to find some BMW expert who knows for sure. Shouldn`t be too hard what with all the armchair experts on the internet But seriously, if I can know about Audis then somebody must know about Bimmers.

It can be tough to tell, huh? You`d expect that you could tell by tapping on it and listening to how it sounds but it`s not always as easy as you`d expect.

Post Thanks / Like
    It is real. I have worked on M5`s interiors and my girlfriends 3 series uses the same aluminum otpioned trim. Really soft aluminum may I add.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by joyriiide1113
    It is real.. Really soft aluminum may I add.

So it`s not anodized or anything like that?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    So it`s not anodized or anything like that?

I can`t comment on that. Its brushed aluminum,t hats for sure,and its not protected. It pricks really easily. My gf`s car, even though she takes good care of it, has little pricks from anything hitting it, including the seatbelt..Its noticeable when looking for it though.

Edit: It also gets really cold or hot depending on the weather... Something that might cause some consideration.

Thread Information