Post Thanks / Like
    I searched and found no real definitive answers. I was scrapping my front windshield of my Mustang and it scratched the window. I ran my figners of the scratch and it felt smooth, so their was no etching of the glass. What`s the best method of removing these light scratches?

Thanks,

Jason

Post Thanks / Like
    If they are really *very* light you can first try a regular polish with your PC, but don`t expect a miracle, glass is very hard to polish out. If it is more of a slight marring than a scratch you might have a better chance.

If that doesn`t "cut it" (pun intended), then Eastwood and JC Whitney both sell a kit for polishing glass. The following thread contains some info from a member (JohnZ3MC) that used the JC Whitney kit with good results:

http://autopia.org/forum/showthread.php?t=78939

I have not personally used one of those kits to remove a scratch, but Eastwood typically sells pretty good stuff. I would be very careful and follow the instructions, you sure don`t want to bugger up your windshield worse than it is now.

BTW, what were you scraping it with?
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eliot Ness
    If they are really *very* light you can first try a regular polish with your PC, but don`t expect a miracle, glass is very hard to polish out. If it is more of a slight marring than a scratch you might have a better chance.

If that doesn`t "cut it" (pun intended), then Eastwood and JC Whitney both sell a kit for polishing glass. The following thread contains some info from a member (JohnZ3MC) that used the JC Whitney kit with good results:

http://autopia.org/forum/showthread.php?t=78939

I have not personally used one of those kits to remove a scratch, but Eastwood typically sells pretty good stuff. I would be very careful and follow the instructions, you sure don`t want to bugger up your windshield worse than it is now.

BTW, what were you scraping it with?

I used a plastic scrapper. It also could be plastic residue as well. I did try and use some water and my jacket to get it out to no avail. Once I get home from work, I will try some rubbing compound and use my PC.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by max2000jp
    I used a plastic scrapper. It also could be plastic residue as well. I did try and use some water and my jacket to get it out to no avail. Once I get home from work, I will try some rubbing compound and use my PC.
    Hopefully it is just light marring from the plastic scraper. Even with plastic you have to be careful using them, some of the better ones I have used are made by OXO. I still like to let the defroster melt the ice off so I don`t have to do as much "hard" scraping on the glass.

Good luck and report back what you find.
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve had some luck with mild scratches on glass using Scratch X

Post Thanks / Like
    I talked to a buddy of mine whom owns a body shop and he recommended the finest steel wool you can find at Home Depot. He said it most likely is residue left over. What do you guys think?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by max2000jp
    I talked to a buddy of mine whom owns a body shop and he recommended the finest steel wool you can find at Home Depot. He said it most likely is residue left over. What do you guys think?
    That would be 0000 grade steel wool. Some members have had good luck using it with a glass cleaner, but some have reported it left a fine haze or some scratches behind, so be gentle if you decide to use it. I`ll try to find one of those threads and will edit this post with a link if I find it.

EDIT: here is the link:

http://autopia.org/forum/showthread.php?t=37355
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    Wiper scratches can be repaired with a cerium oxide kit and I`ve used it successfully to remove wiper scratches on the wife`s Camaro. No distortion either.

Cerium oxide is a fine polish made for glass products and is used in the astronomical field to polish telescope lenses so it`s safe for glass because it`s made to work with glass.

A few companies like JC Whitney and Eastwood sell a polishing kit for around 30 bucks that includes enough cerium oxide powder to do many windshields plus a 2 inch felt pad and mandrel for an electric drill.

Mix up a slurry of the powder and water and use the pad to polish the windshield. Don`t give up early, it may take 45 min. or more of polishing but you will see progress.

I removed harsh windshield wiper scratches from the wife`s windshield (Camaro) and still have lots of product left.

The only issue with it is its ever so slightly radioactive, sort of like your watch that glows in the dark but not even that radioactive. You don`t want to carry the extra cerium oxide in your pocket for the rest of your life, you want to do like I do, I store it in my neighbour`s basement. Just kidding. It`s down on a shelf in the basement.

It worked very well.

-John C.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a similar problem; my windshield is covered with hundreds of tiny rock "chips" along with a couple big ones. I`m doubtful I can do anything with the big ones (about 1/8" to 1/4" diameter) but I was wondering if a polish with fillers would help with the really small ones? When I`m driving with the sun in front of me, if you focus on the windshield instead of far out on the road you can tell there is literally hundreds of them covering the windshield. This problem, I`m guessing, is from the previous owner who lived in a rural setting and his house was located inside an area with a dirt/rock road leading to it.

Thread Information