Post Thanks / Like
    I`m relatively new to the detailing thing, but have caught the bug like most everyone else here. I have used my PC with great success on my own car and continue to practice to find that perfection. I`ve just recently been asked to detail a friend`s father`s 79` Vette. Parusing through Click `n Brag I have noticed that there are complaints about how hard modern Vette`s and their clear coats are and was wondering if their is anything special that I should know before I get to this detail. In fact, I don`t even know if this has a clearcoat at all!

I`ve got a number of products at my disposal that I have been collecting. The whole Optimum line, Meg`s #80, my PC with Yellow and white pad as well as the Sonus pads, among other LSP`s, glass cleaners, trim and tire protectants.

Hopefully all these supplies should be enough, but let me know if there is anything else I should throw in my arsenal incase this car has something else instore for me. Oh and btw, I have seen it but I did not look that close as I thought I would be cleaning his Mini. It`s white so I know some imperfections that I dont get wouldnt show that much.

Thanks for your help everyone!

James

P.S. Any advice on a Mini exterior as I heard BMW paint is wicked hard as well would be appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmm. Last time I detailed a car that old, the paint was Lacquer and it was hard as a rock. It was also SS as well...

Mini paint is a little harder than normal, but nothing even close to audi, MB, or Corvette.

Post Thanks / Like
    The `74 Vette (repaint but not sure when) I did over the summer had rock hard paint. Took 3.5 hours with the Cyclo, cutting pads and starting with OHC to buff it out.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    I did a 78 this summer and it too was a repaint as Scott has had experience with. Lucky for me it wasn`t roo hard, however it was hard to finish down to perfection it needed just the right combo. Here is the link if your interested in seeing the products I had to use

I would try to find out if it has ever been repainted, with the arsenal of Meg`s polishes you should be able to tackle it however if it is hard, it might just take a little time and may not turn out 100% Just remember we can`t always expect 100% results. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    My neighbor has a 79 with original red paint and it is no were near as difficult to work with as the new corvette paints are. I was able to work the paint easily with zpc, but of course the paint being old, you will not want to remove to much paint.

Greg
    :usa

Post Thanks / Like
    Great thoughts guys, I never even thought that it might have been repainted. I`ll have to call him tomorrow and check, but I guess it will end up being trail and error, just figuring out what works and what doesnt. Should the paint actully be original and not having a paint depth gauge how harsh should I go? I imagine trying to tackle all of the defects would not be advisable, but how would I guess which ones might remove too much paint (besides the obvious which catch fingernails). Should I go over with what ever removes the lightest of scratches and call it quits?

Post Thanks / Like
    If it is original paint and the owner isn`t looking for 100% correction and you want to be safe. I would reach for Megs #80 it will remove any oxidation, light swirling, and give oils to the paint to bring it back to life.

Thread Information