Thread: #16 haze

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I tried to add a second coat of #16 to my hood today and when I did I ended up with a haze left over. It looks as though all the product has not been wiped off. Not noticeable at all really, you can only see it when the sun shines right and then it looks similar to holograms. Has anyone else had this problem? I tried using a completely clean towel to wipe it off with and that didn`t work, neither did Meguiars final inspection. Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like
    If the haze is the #16 and not something else you just put it on too thick and/or didn`t let it dry enough.

I haven’t had it happen to me but I would assume that any cleaner or cleaner/wax would remove it (but you’d have to apply the #16 again after that if you want it as the topper).

Claying would probably remove it too.

PC.

Post Thanks / Like
    THanks, I think I might see if it comes off in a wash today before I start all over.

Post Thanks / Like
    It sounds like the product has nothing else to bond to other than the first coat. Sometimes, this can be the case with layering similar products.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmm... never had that happen to me either. How long between coats?

I was thinking along the lines of the other PC, #16 issues almost always come down to a too-thick application.

Post Thanks / Like
    4 days between coats and I had no problem with my first one so I doubt it is the thickness.

Post Thanks / Like
    Probably some of the solvents from the second layer trapped (penetrated) in the 1st layer. #16 is very high in VOC solvents (DC`d for very reason).

Allow a day or 2 for these solvents to escape (migrate to surface and evaporate) and the hazing should disappear.

Washing will also alleviate by removing 2nd layer (poorly bonded with the presence of solvents in 1st layer) and exposing contaminated 1st layer and allowing immediate evaporation of solvents.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by xtahoex
    4 days between coats and I had no problem with my first one so I doubt it is the thickness.

OK, thanks for elaborating. Huh...sorry but I`m clueless. I still layer #16 like that pretty often and I`ve never had a problem. But then I`m a real fanatic about thin coats, to where I can barely see any wax on the panels.

Wonder what Mike P over at MOL would say about it (besides the standard "too thick" answer) :nixweiss

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you sure its hazing and not streaking ?

I see streaking with #16 when the product is not removed properly, just pass the PC on it abit longer with a finishing pad and it should disappear. I don`t think #16 has high VOC at all, if it did it would never last over decades in a can !

www.meguiars.com/msds/m1611.pdf

Post Thanks / Like
    It might be called streaking ed. Do you mean when I apply the wax with the finishing pad to keep working it in longer at that time? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    It might be called streaking ed. Do you mean when I apply the wax with the finishing pad to keep working it in longer at that time? Thanks.

Yup, that what I mean Pete, applying #16 by hand with an applicator leaves more paste in the beginning as it trails thinner as you drag your applicator further and #16 is extremely difficult to spread makes it that much more difficult. Heres a trick I use that works well, I heat up the top layer a bit with a heat gun or a hair dryer and then it spread like butter and much better control on the thinning.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EdLancer
    I don`t think #16 has high VOC at all, if it did it would never last over decades in a can !

www.meguiars.com/msds/m1611.pdf

The reason #16 was discontinued was because lowering the VOC to meet the VOC standards in California and a few other states wasn`t possible and maintain the quality of wax #16 has been known to be for decades. Rather than produce an inferior hybrid, Meguiar`s took the high road and drop from their line-up for now.

The grace period for VOC contain in California ends in 2007. I wonder what other products will fail to meet this deadline? :nixweiss

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you mean when I apply the wax with the finishing pad to keep working it in longer at that time?

I try to head this issue off from the git-go by having *very* little wax on the pad. It`s pretty amazing how little you need on there. As a test, when you think there`s no more wax on your pad, go over something like chrome or glass (or the black plastic pillars of cars like my audis)- you`ll see that the "waxless" pad still lays down a good coat of #16.

Another test is to see how much wax is left in the pad when you`re finished. I bet most people have enough excess wax in the pad for a thin-application guy like me to do a few panels I shoot for virtually *no* wax left in the pad at the end of the job, if there`s any left in it I`ll do stuff like doorjambs with it.

Sorry, I`m just a broken-record fanatic about how much of this stuff to use, but that seems to be at the root of every issue with the stuff. It occurs to me that a thin application might flash off faster too, maybe that`d help minimize any VOC/solvent-related issues :nixweiss

FWIW I *greatly* prefer applying #16 by machine, even though I initially did it by hand for many years. The machine is better at the "turn the wax liquid" thing than I am and IMO that`s the key to applying #16- you want to turn the paste wax to liquid and spread it over as large an area (as thinly) as possible.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you to everyone!!! maybe I really didn`t do it thin enough, I`ll try again soon and see how it goes, maybe this time I`ll use the PC thanks!!!

Thread Information