Post Thanks / Like
    I have been using ONR for a few months and every time it takes me at least 45 minutes to wash my car, wheels, exhaust tips and wheelwells. It`s an MR2 so it`s not a big car even. I really like ONR but I can`t figure out how people wash their cars so fast!

Here`s how I do it:

I use two bucket method with 2 chenelles and WW drying towel in the following order:

1. roof

2. front windshield

3. hood

4. one side window and top half of door

5. one fender

6. one rear quarter panel

7. one bottom half of door and one side air intake (basically bottom half of rear quarter panel)

8. other side window and top half of door

9. other fender

10. other rear quarter panel

11. other bottom half of door and other side air intake

12. rear glass and engine lid

13. trunk and wing

14. half of rear bumper and taillights

15. other half of rear bumper and taillights

16 I forgot the front bumper

17. exhaust tips

18. 1st wheel well + wheel

19 2nd wheel well + wheel

20 3rd wheel well + wheel

21 4th wheel well + wheel

that`s 21 dunks into the ONR bucket and 21 dunks into the rinse bucket and 17 passes of the WW drying towel (I don`t dry the wheels and wheel wells. So I guess the best I did was 2 minutes for each section. Am I too slow? I want to see a video of someone washing their car in 15 minutes. LOL.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think that the time it takes to wash is really determined by how dirty the car is to start.

If my Accord has just light dirt and dust, I can do it in about 20 minutes. Anything dirtier, and it is usually 30 min. or more. My wifes Pilot is a beast to wash, usually takes 45 min to an hour.

It`s still faster and easier than a conventional wash.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use a double bucket with 1.5 gallons of water on each side and I wash with a grout sponge from Home Depot. My car is a Lexus GS400 (fairly large). I usually wash in the shade or in the garage. I section the car as follows:

1. Driver`s side roof and front windshield.

2. Side windows and back windows.

3. Passenger side roof and front windshield.

4. Passenger side windows and back windshield.

5. Drivers side hood and front quarter panel.

6. Passenger side hood and front quarter panel.

7. Front bumper

8. Trunk

9. Rear bumper

10. Side doors and rear quarter panels (upper half)

11. Side lower half rocker panels front and back.

12 and 13 Other side

I would say I spend about 30 seconds each section including moving around the car I would call it 7-8 minutes. I spend the next 7-8 minutes spraying one section at a time with Optimum Car Wax and drying/buffing with a waffle weave towel (usually use a 2nd one when I finish in a quick once around the car). I also do the door jams during this part.

So far about 15 minutes

I use an old MF towel soaked in leftover water to wipe down my chrome HKS exhaust pipes (no drying) this only takes 1 minute.

I spend another 10 minutes doing my wheels (sometimes they don`t need to be redone every time).

Easily finish wash and wax in under 20 minutes....not pushing it at all. Complete job with wheels and and tires takes less than 30 minutes. I think you are just not allowing the ONR enough credit. Your car can be a lot dirtier than you think and this stuff will still safely clean without marring. It`s all I use 90% of the time.

Post Thanks / Like
    It takes me not quite an hour to do my car. But it`s a daily driver and I wash it every couple weeks. I probably spend 20 minutes on the wheels to get all the brake dust and crud off of them. The car itself is pretty straightforward. I think a lot of the time is spent just going to the ONR bucket to load up and then going to the rinse bucket to wring out the mitt.

Post Thanks / Like
    OutlawTitan, thanks for the detailed description. I tried it this weekend but still wasn`t fast enough. By the time I finished washing, the car had dried water spots all over. I don`t think I followed your steps exactly and probably didn`t cover enough area each pass and had to dunk and rinse the wash mitt too many times. Does the grout sponge hold significantly more water than a chenelle mitt? I`ll give it another try next weekend!

Post Thanks / Like
    It holds a lot more water but the difference is probably the fact that I have a water softener system on my home and I don`t get water spots in the sun either. You might want to try doing just the roof and windows the first pass and then dry. Maybe the hood and front quarter panels next, followed by the upper half of each side of the car, trunk and rear quarter panels, and then finish with the lower rocker panels. This may require more than one drying towel because it is easy to get one dirty drying near areas that have not been washed.

You will get quicker after you find the best order for you and go through the process a few times.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m new to ONR, but will try an experiment. Instead of a two bucket method, I`m gonna mix the ONR in a 1 gallon pump sprayer and spray it on. Then use a 5 gal rinse bucket (about 3 gals of warm water).

I`ll spray the ONR on the panel, then have my wash/rinse towel wet but not dripping with the rinse water, wipe the panel and immediately follow with a dry MF. Then rinse my wet towel and repeat. I`ll need to experiment with how far ahead I spray for sufficient dwell time.

I think spraying will save the time by not `double dipping` and the spray ahead will allow dwell time for the ONR to do it`s magic and melt crud away.

When the ride is in rougher shape, I`ll take the sprayer to the coin-op, spray her down, then use the coin-op (set on either rinse or wax) to rinse it off.

Thread Information