Post Thanks / Like
    I have been detailing personal cars for many years mostly by hand. I spend way too much on various products looking for that miracle product that always seems to elude us all. Just recently I bought a PC buffer and started fooling with it.

Later I bought the Pinnacle XMT series of swirl removers and have been fooling with them for a while too. Well last night I found a few video clips on Autogeek that shows some steps for using the products. Using my wifes 2006 apline white BMW 325I that I had just detailed this weekend anyway. I taped off half the hood and started with the PC and an orange pad and the #2 XMT. Letting it run longer than I ever had before on half the hood until I was sure break down had occured I stopped and wiped it down with a MF.

Then I put on a WHITE pad and moved to #1 XMT and did the same thing. Longer and longer until break down was reached. Then moved on to the finishing glaze (purple) and a black pad per the video.

Then I got out the halogen light and removed the tape showing me the before and after. And FINALLY I think I am getting it right. The finish is nearly 100% defect free. Maybe 98-99%. To be honest from more than 10 feet away I cant tell the difference anyway, but after years searching for perfection I think I am getting real close.

So for all of you out there having trouble stay after it and spend more time and move slower than you think needed before moving down to the next step in your process. Also I did have to use the #1 even though the #2 bottle says no final polish necessary. Without out it I could still see tiny spider web like marks everywhere.

Whew this is a long post but I felt important. Keep after it and keep trying. It can be done. Now it has got me motivated to do my whole Dodge 2500 Ram truck (red) all over again to get it this way too !!

Don

Post Thanks / Like
    Like they say, its all technique!

Post Thanks / Like
    I wish I had some good pics but it is dark outside and I just dont have time to click them, upload etc. But all of you have seen what clear unscratched paint looks like anyway so I dont need to bother.

Thanks to all of you for sharing all your tips

Don

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by yakky
    Like they say, its all technique!

:werd: ^ with the right product and pad combo as well, you can achieve excellent results!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks to this place I have pretty much learnt the correct machine RPM`s, and how fast I glide the machine from one side to the other.

Per section, how many passes should one make when correcting paint.

I see some touch up guys and so called pro`s moving a rotary almost two feet per second

No wonder the marks don`t get 100% removed
    Car care/detailing sadly isn`t high on the agenda for 98% of australians.

Thread Information