Post Thanks / Like
    OK, so I`ve been wondering how long my steps will last me over the winter and a thought came up. I should eventually figure it out myself, but what is the relation between sealant and wax as far as durability? What I mean is that does layering one product on top of another have any affect on the previous product? For example, I`m layering two coats of 845 on top of two coats of EX-P. Consensus seems to be that the 845 has longer durability than the EX-P. So once the 845 has run it`s course, does that mean the EX-P will also be done for? Or will the extra protection of the 845 allow the EX-P to last a while longer once the 845 has come off? So say the 845 lasts three months, and the EX-P lasts two, will the EX-P last another two months after the 845 is gone, or somewhere inbetween?

Post Thanks / Like
    I`d say somewhere in between, and it won`t be quite the same as having just the EX-P on there by itself after the 845 gets degraded. The EX-P will still be there but it`ll have "dead" wax on top of it.

My "classic synthetic/wax combo" would probably be #16 on top of KSG. When the #16 was gone I could tell that the KSG was still on there, but it didn`t quite look/feel/bead the same as just KSG by itself. Whatever was left of the degraded wax must`ve been sorta like some mild kind of contamination. Nothing awful, still looked pretty good, but I did feel like I needed to redo it when I got the chance (clayed and reapplied the #16, worked OK).

Some other synthetic-with-topper combos didn`t fare as well...once the wax was gone it obviously needed redoing; I couldn`t tell the synthetic was there at all. Others were sorta in-between (Autoglym SRP topped with carnauba) and looked OK but not too good and not for long. So you`ll have to see just how your EX-P/845 holds up. I`d try to reapply the 845 as conditions permit.

Post Thanks / Like
    I know you use Collinite a lot, do you think I`d lose much by skipping the second layer of EX-P? I planned on a second coat, but after reading how Collinite has more durability, I`m not sure it`s worth it. And I`d like to get a coat of wax on before tomorrow if possible.

Post Thanks / Like
    That`s sorta tough...we`re just guessing here and it`s probably splitting hairs anyhow.

Considering that it`s still a ways out from true winter weather I`d probably put the second coat of EX-P on it now and then add Collinite (or even more EX-P) after each of the next few washes, using Sonus Green clay if necessary to clean things up a little.

Honestly, and I know this isn`t what you`ll want to hear I`m not convinced that 845 is the last word in durability. I`d probably pick up a can of 476S/885 if you want to be sure you`ll get through winter. You`ll still find a good use for the 845 (I use it on stuff you might not normall wax, like exterior black plastic and even rubbery window surrounds), but the paste waxes *will* get you through a winter, especially if you start layering them after maybe another coat of EX-P.

I`m not a big fan of "buying another product is the anwer to your Q" but for, what?, maybe $15 or so you`d be all set. Someplace (forget where, see the recent thread about the various different Collinite waxes, it`s Mac-somethig dot com ) has free shipping on Collinite.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, actually I bought the 845 from that place. I was thinking of getting the 476, but I think I went with the 845 because of the posts saying it looks better. I figured I would try to put more on it sometime in like January to keep it protected anyway.

I guess I could give it a couple more days. It`s just that I`ve kept the car in the garage, driving my old car all week and I miss it :sadpace:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimm
    Yeah, actually I bought the 845 from that place. I was thinking of getting the 476, but I think I went with the 845 because of the posts saying it looks better..

IMO it`s a mighty subtle difference, at least on some paints, that IMO people tend to exaggerate. I have 476S on one panel and 845 on another nearby one and I wouldn`t bet my life that I could spot it if I didn`t already know. NO way anybody else sees it but on some other paints it would be a different story.

I guess I could give it a couple more days. It`s just that I`ve kept the car in the garage, driving my old car all week and I miss it...

Heh heh, watch you don`t get like me and end up driving the beater all the time out of some goofy detailing-centric urge to preserve the good car or at least delay the need to redetail it

Post Thanks / Like
    Haha, my dad said something like that last night. He said it looks so good that I`ll have to stop driving it and keep it as a collector car. Then I told him I`m still not done yet after 12 hours. :waxing:

Thread Information