Post Thanks / Like
    its raining here in so cal ..

my question is rain water considered "hard water" ?? will it leave water stains that etch into the paint due to minerals??

i know acid rain can etch.. but im talking about just normal rain i suppose... if i leave rain water on my car for a week.. will it etch and leave a "ring" like tap water would???

will rain spots just be washed right off at the next wash??

thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Yea it can leave water spots, but if you wax/seal appropriately, most of the time it will leave a sort of "dust," if you get rid of it immediately. I usually don`t bother, and just try to wash her once a week.

My experience has always shown that those types of water spots come off easily during washing. I don`t use any special methods, just wash normally and they`ll disappear.

Luckily, it hasn`t rained (few things are more depressing right after you spent hours on your car...), and I think our rain season is FINALLY coming to an end.

Keep the glass somehow protected (AIO, Rain-X, Aquapel, etc), and you shouldn`t suffer with horrible water spotting there either.

Post Thanks / Like
    Usually the spots rain leaves can be dusted off with a california duster or a quick detail spray. If you live in an area like Las Vegas or California, the rain technically would be hard water because it would naturally have the hard waters minerals in it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by benvegas
    Usually the spots rain leaves can be dusted off with a california duster or a quick detail spray. If you live in an area like Las Vegas or California, the rain technically would be hard water because it would naturally have the hard waters minerals in it.

you mean the rain water in the clouds have minerals in it like ground water?? :nixweiss

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by silversx
    you mean the rain water in the clouds have minerals in it like ground water?? :nixweiss

Since rain is evaporated water, the only thing in it is what it picks up from the air on the way down. That`s what causes the dust spots on your car, not the minerals.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oops.

Perhaps its the hardness that comes from when the water hits the ground and then splashes on the car while driving?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pogo123
    Since rain is evaporated water, the only thing in it is what it picks up from the air on the way down. That`s what causes the dust spots on your car, not the minerals.

I am no expert but I do believe that in order for a raindrop to form it must have a dust/dirt particle to form around in the cloud. When it becomes to heavy, it begins to fall (rain). When the water dries, it leaves the dust/dist particle behind on your vehicle.

Post Thanks / Like
    i wouldnt worry too much...here in england it rains nearly everyday and we get along fine

just be aware of drying a rained on car...chances are its also has a layer of dust/dirt on there too

Post Thanks / Like
    wax/seal your car with a durable wax/sealant ; or more layers. Frequent rain will diminish the protection pretty quickly.

NXT didn`t last a week on my car through the rain season (one coat), it did not sheet as fast as it did compared to day 1`s rain.

Post Thanks / Like
    It has just started to rain up here in the bay area, and it has made me pissed off. I usually ( this may sound sacreligious to some of you ) spray qd on the hood, roof and toneau cover of our truck that stays parked outside and never gets driven, and then use a waterblade to get the bulk of the water off after a rainstorm. I follow with a MF drying towel for the rest of the vehicle. Not a single new defect or swiril since last detail. . . . (I check to make sure there is not any bird crap or significant dirt on the finish first, duu)

But for our other truck and honda accord that get driven daily, if it sees water form the wet road, i just wait until the weekend and wash it, rain or shine - better to have the dirt off the car so it does not set or dry, ruining your LSP . .

Thread Information