Post Thanks / Like
    What do you do with too many paint ships? My car is a daily driver and it always seems that I get hit with gravel. The color is metallic dark blue.

I have about 4 big chips (right down to the metal about the size of this "O"), the rest are smaller around the whole body. I was hoping to get buy with stuff I already have here.

I will use the method in the detail guide but I have a couple of questions.

Once I clean out the scratch with wet sand paper, do I have to prime first?

Can I thin out the factory Subaru paint to make the coats thinner and more level (with what)?

I have no garage or place inside to store my car; can anyone give me suggestions to protect the paint repairs overnight?

As for polish after, all I have is a PC and Meg`s DACP. Will that be strong enough to take out the scratches after leveling them with wet sandpaper? I plan on going over it with Klasse AIO and KSG.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Randall

:nixweiss

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by randall21
    Once I clean out the scratch with wet sand paper, do I have to prime first?

If it`s down to the metal you oughta prime, but you can sometimes get by OK without it. I`d get some rust converter and let that a) stop any rust and b) function as the primer.

Can I thin out the factory Subaru paint to make the coats thinner and more level (with what)?

Find out if it`s lacquer or enamel, that`ll dictate what you use to thin it. Or just put on a thin coat of the color and then more clear. But yeah, factory touchup paint is usually too thick.

I have no garage or place inside to store my car; can anyone give me suggestions to protect the paint repairs overnight?

Make a "tent" with 2" masking tape, so the tape is up above the surface of the paint over the repaired area. You could put some aluminum foil on the sticky side of the tape where it`s over the repair to a) help build the "tent" and b) keep the sticky tape from getting on some place you don`t want it.

As for polish after, all I have is a PC and Meg`s DACP. Will that be strong enough to take out the scratches after leveling them with wet sandpaper? I plan on going over it with Klasse AIO and KSG.

IMO you`ll need something stronger even if you use Meguiar`s Unitgrit sandpaper (and by all means *do* use that particular sandpaper, it`s *that* much better) in a mild grit like 2-3K. I use the discontinued (but still available at autobody/paint supply places) 3M PI-III RC 05933 followed by PI-III MG 05937 and those products work well. In their absence I`d get something from Hi-Temp. Using the wrong (too mild) product will just be a frustrating waste of time and effort.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would touch them up with a size 00 touch-up brush, then bring the car to my shop and I can install Venture Shield for you, which will help to hide the touch ups, and will also protect the paint from further chipping.

Metropolitan Detail

(425)672-8140

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the great responses. I guess I better get on it considering it is getting colder in Toronto every day.

Is there any clear bra type places anyone has used in Toronto?

How many coats do you think it would take to slowly bring the paint to the surface?

Is it safe to use 5 - 7 very thin coats?

I know it has been beaten to death on this forum but will the Klasse twin be good enouhg protection for the winter?

Thanks,

Paul

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by randall21
    How many coats do you think it would take to slowly bring the paint to the surface?

Is it safe to use 5 - 7 very thin coats?

It just depends how thich/thin the paint is and how deep the chip is :nixweiss You can use however many coats you need to, better to use a bunch of thin ones than a few thick ones.

I know it has been beaten to death on this forum but will the Klasse twin be good enouhg protection for the winter?

Yeah, at least with enough layers. I get through Ohio winters with 4-6, but my vehicles are garaged.

Thread Information