Post Thanks / Like
    Recently I just started advertising for the first time...and I`m sure to state that I`m a paint correction expert. I never would have thought, but I`m getting calls from other professionals wanting help removing the swirls from their customer`s vehicles...basically, jobs they couldn`t tackle themselves...in fact, these are the only calls I`ve received so far. Flattering, but I never would have imagined.

Post Thanks / Like
    thats cool rag, most wash/wax guys around my neck of the woods dont know what swirl marks are. lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, it`s amazing (or scary...depending on how you look at it) how many guys call themselves professionals but don`t have a clue what they are doing. It`s blatently evident around here when I come across people that had previous detailers for extended periods of time that never clayed their cars for them - around here, every non-autopian car accumulates significant rust contamination in just a few months...so claying is HUGE.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RAG
    around here, every non-autopian car accumulates significant rust contamination in just a few months...so claying is HUGE.

Why`s that? Being in San Diego I`d have thought rust contamination wouldn`t have been an issue. Just curious

Post Thanks / Like
    autopians have higher standards than most auto detailers out there...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kewjoe
    Why`s that? Being in San Diego I`d have thought rust contamination wouldn`t have been an issue. Just curious

Nope. We have CRAZY rust contamination here. I chew through clay like you wouldn`t believe. I`ve posted some pictures of clay here on Autopia to give people an idea...but let me just say that on about every fourth car I detail for the first time, I can turn a clay bar completely orange on one size by claying only 3 square feet - no exaggeration.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by imacarnut
    autopians have higher standards than most auto detailers out there...

Yeah, as long as you stay on top of it, the rust really doesn`t have a chance to develop. But if one is in the habbit of letting their car sit dirty (with metallic particles in the dirt of course), then tons of rust will form...with the salt air and all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RAG
    Nope. We have CRAZY rust contamination here. I chew through clay like you wouldn`t believe.

Wow Ryan i guess you have to order by the drum/pallet(clay)

yes it amazes me as well the those who have high end cars,luxory,or even nice looking vehicle and they dont get it taken care of...

I remeber someone said to me "the rich doesnt get to wear there are by paying full price"again others may say it diffrently, but im sure you catch what i mean

by the way i know some apprentice detailer who just does everything else but paint correction (polish) why they say takes to long and some clients are not interested in it(dont care for there car/swirls will come back) or even the high price(cant justify the price), plus at times they may price incorrectly so to solve it for them they just dont do it... each to there own i guess
    another day another dollar

Post Thanks / Like
    yeah rag i remember a few of your clay after pics, in all the bars ive been through the only thing that ever looked close to what you had was a bar i used on wheels for weeks lol.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VaSuperShine
    yeah rag i remember a few of your clay after pics, in all the bars ive been through the only thing that ever looked close to what you had was a bar i used on wheels for weeks lol.

In one regard, San Diego is a detailer`s paradise. But on the other hand, you have to factor in the fact that it usually takes me about an hour to to an hour to clay (sometimes a little less, sometimes a lot more)...but it`s hard to charge extra for this. Cars that are left outside should be clayed, polished, and waxed every 4 months...but notice I said "should"...only a fraction of my clients consistently have me do this every 4 mo.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think a number of `detailing` shops are really more wash/wax and shampoo shops that advertize their sevice for about $50 - $75 or so. They really don`t do polishing/buffing.

Post Thanks / Like
    That interesting RAG, what kind of advertising did you start? Mailings, magazine, etc??

The body shops around here keep me very busy, but only because the *customer* notices the holograms. I wonder if they wouldn`t have a more satisfied customer if the they contracted the work to me before they delivered the car. If I was a real detailer, I would definitely try to market my services to them--at least they could use me for their "picky" customers.
    Word of Mouth Detailing
    A man with experience is not at the mercy of a man with an opinion

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ebpcivicsi
    That interesting RAG, what kind of advertising did you start? Mailings, magazine, etc??

The body shops around here keep me very busy, but only because the *customer* notices the holograms. I wonder if they wouldn`t have a more satisfied customer if the they contracted the work to me before they delivered the car. If I was a real detailer, I would definitely try to market my services to them--at least they could use me for their "picky" customers.

Just craigslist. And I have an "in columm" text add in the yellow pages which should be coming out soon.

I`m not surprised that there are lots of professionals out there unable to perform intensive paint correction themselves...just surprised that they would have the "courage" to contact me and admit it. But I have no problem helping other professionals...I`ll even give them some tips, etc., as my area is huge and there are tons of cars...so I`m certainly not worried about the competition.

Regarding the body shops...they would be better off to hire you in the first place for ssure...but most are too cheap for that; they figure they`re better off putting out bad work and fixing it only when someone complains.

Thread Information