Post Thanks / Like
    A few months ago, I claybarred and put five layers of KSG on my new car. I love the gloss and protection! But before the winter hits in a few more months, I want to re-seal the vehicle; is AIO capable of removing all five layers of KSG, in order for me to begin the detailing process over?

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes-AIO is a chemical cleaner and will remove SG.

Post Thanks / Like
    This could be a trick question since Klasse AIO ALSO contans KSG !

I would say it doesn`t matter if all of the SG is removed. Applying AIO is going to provide deep cleaning and prepare for KSG topper(s) - so it should be just fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    AIO is a great cleaner and sealer. It`s the BEST one step on the market IMO (even after the VOC changes). Pre-Voc, I used AIO on our Black Tahoe during the winter and it held up like a champ.

I`m not a fan of KSG at all.......

Zaino is my sealer of choice. I`ve tried them all -unfortunately Zaino was the last on my list due to the hype -but it`s worth EVERY penny.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the input, guys. I`ve heard conflicting things about Zaino. The price of the system is what deters me, though.

I use KSG on top just because it`s AIO without the polishing action. It`s only natural. And let me tell you, the hours I spent on five layers of KSG was worth the candy-coat shine! I`ve been using P21S as an LSP and it makes the Galaxy Gray Metallic glow like lightning.

I think I`m gonna stick to the Klasse twins and P21S for the rest of my life. I don`t need better results than what I`m already getting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Happyness is a man who has found his perfect detailing product combination.

Lucky you..... I am still on the search !

Perm

Post Thanks / Like
    This is exactly where I`m at at the moment. I`m about to make a monster order of products for detailing, and wondered what to use on my garage queen. It currently has aio/sg topped with p21s and its absolutely gorgeous, perfect metallic pop and shine. It could look wetter, it could look maybe a little deeper, maybe a little glossier, but its exactly where I want it right now. The durability is uselessly amazing aswell, even after a couple of months of total hibernation this winter (southern hemisphere), its still great a year after application, with only a single top up to the p21s along the way! Cant wait to see how it goes over some menzerna correction :xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    Cool...it`s kinda nice to see the AIO/SG/P21S combo still getting pub. I used a very, very similar combo (S100 instead of P21S) when I first got my car 3 years ago. Then I got the spending bug and bought quite a bit of other products...now I`m just trying to use them all up. lol

Anyways, sorry to get off-topic...back to your original question. Yes, AIO will remove SG. If you want to be sure to have a clean surface, you could do an IPA wipedown after a car wash.

MCA

Post Thanks / Like
    televascular- Welcome to Autopia!

Maybe you can get by with just cleaning the KSG that`s already on there with some mild clay (I use Sonus Green) and then applying more KSG. My minivan has KSG on it and I haven`t had to AIO/strip/etc. for a long time...I just use the clay and add more KSG. That`s all I`m gonna do for this winter. If you have marring or some heavy contamination that`d be different, all depends on the condition of the paint.

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess with 5 layers of SG on there already why would you want to take it off? Is it in need of a claying or something? Why not another layer and call it good for winter prep

Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, that`s what I was thinking. Even a kinda aggressive claying will leave a lot of KSG on there, so why start over?

Post Thanks / Like
    I read somewhere that even five layers of KSG (applied within a short period) only lasted about as long as one layer. Since it`s going to hit the 7-month mark when the snow starts, I wanted to start over from the clearcoat and build another five layers to last another half-year or so.

Is this not necessary? Can five coats of KSG noticeably last longer than one layer? And does claybarring really negate a layer of KSG?

Post Thanks / Like
    It does sound like you are just making extra work for yourself.

Even if your five coats of KSG only equals the durability of one coat, you said you just put the KSG on a few months ago. For that reason, you should still have a solid coat of KSG and it`s not necessary to strip down and start over with clay/AIO/KSGx5 unless your vehicle absolutely needs to be clayed.

Supposedly some of the milder clays (like Sonus Ultra Fine) will not strip sealants like KSG. However, you can`t really be sure of that. So, if you are wanting to make sure you have durable protection for the winter, I would think you would want to re-apply KSG after any claying.

Again, unless your vehicle needs to be clayed for some reason, my advice would be to simply wash your vehicle and re-apply 1-3 coats of KSG. That way the clock will start running again on how long you can expect the KSG to hold up and it should carry you through the winter months.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by televascular
    I read somewhere that even five layers of KSG (applied within a short period) only lasted about as long as one layer. Since it`s going to hit the 7-month mark when the snow starts, I wanted to start over from the clearcoat and build another five layers to last another half-year or so.

Is this not necessary? Can five coats of KSG noticeably last longer than one layer? And does claybarring really negate a layer of KSG?

*In my experience* multiple layers of KSG last a lot longer than one, and more last longer than fewer. I`ve experimented with this on adjacent panels and the difference was striking. Note that I redo my KSG when it starts to sheet as opposed to bead and thus I consider it "dead" long before it really is- and six layers last a long, long time for me (still beading after over a year, with no QDing or other extraneous variables, the one time I really studied it) while one layer lasts a bit longer than a month and a half. This is on the minivan which gets used regularly in all sorts of weather. This durability-when-layered is the only reason I use KSG. Multiple layers even last for months on end on my wheels, and some of our vehicles produce nasty brake dust. One layer hardly lasts any time at all on said wheels.

Note that I always allow for at leat 24 hours between applications and I generally don`t use the W-O-W-O method except on black plastic trim.

I wash with Griot`s Car Wash, which does not appear to have any stripping effect on KSG.

I`ve also experimented rather extensively with the Sonus green clay, using it to intentionally cut through various LSPs to see how easy/difficult it is. A proper/gentle claying with the Sonus green clay will absolutely *not* cut through a healthy layer of KSG. You can still feel the KSG on the surface, it still beads and looks the same...the ultra-fine clay simply doesn`t take it off unless you clay so aggressively that IMO you`re claying incorrectly.

I understand if you don`t want to trust some semi-anonymous poster on the internet (i.e., me ) and erring on the side of caution won`t hurt anything except your free time, but if I thought my minivan could benefit from anything other than a gentle claying with the Sonus green and another coat of KSG, I`d do it. It doesn`t need anything more than that so that`s all I`m gonna do until it picks up some marring that I have to polish out. I haven`t AIOed it for over a year and there`s no need to do it now. But your situation and the condition of your vehicle might be different.

As for reapplying KSG without claying, I`ve never clayed (after a few months and before the reapplication) without the clay picking up *some* kind of contamination that would`ve otherwise been trapped under the KSG. Sealing in contamination doesn`t make for the best appearance

Gee the above kinda bordered on a rant, huh?

Thread Information