Thread: Dealer Prep

Post Thanks / Like
    I factory ordered a 2007 Pontiac G6 GT last week, and was wondering…

Does anyone know what the dealer typically does to prep a car once they receive it from the factory?

I’d prefer to detail the car myself for the first time, but I’m wondering if they do anything I might not be able to.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dmehak
    I factory ordered a 2007 Pontiac G6 GT last week, and was wondering…

Does anyone know what the dealer typically does to prep a car once they receive it from the factory?

I’d prefer to detail the car myself for the first time, but I’m wondering if they do anything I might not be able to.

Thanks.

Always tell the dealer to not touch the paint. The paint could be in perfect condition and they will feel the need to wipe some dirty rags on it and go over it with a high speed and call it prep.

Post Thanks / Like
    When I got my detail van I told them not to wash the van whatsoever...what did they do? Some guy wrote with his finger through the dust, NO WASH on my hood!

They will remove the plastic from the interior and any shipping wraping, but tell them DO NOT WASH this car. I used to do this for Ford- all I did was rinse, wash if dirty, or just spray down with Show Off and dry. Other places seem to get out the rotaries at times and go to town. I have seen black Caddies all swirled in the showroom- one salesperson told me once, "Oh that? That just happens."

Just politely state that you enjoy the art of auto detailing and understand clear coat and what it takes to maintain the paint and that you would rather do it yourself as you can not control what products they use or how they use them.

Rob
    Robert and Susan Regan

Towel Pros Microfiber

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Danase
    Always tell the dealer to not touch the paint. The paint could be in perfect condition and they will feel the need to wipe some dirty rags on it and go over it with a high speed and call it prep.
    Couldn`t have said it better myself!

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, they have to do SOMETHING. The last car I bought I specifically instructed (2 or 3 times) not to wash the car. It was pretty filthy with nice black brake dust on the wheels. The salesman assured me they were not washing it. When they brought it out the car was still dirty but the wheels were "clean" (and swirled) and the tires had greasy kid stuff on them. But they didn`t wash it!

If you factory order a car, you deserve to get it untouched by dealer wash hands. Make sure you talk to them during the build/delivery process so you have an idea when the car will be arriving so you can get your hands on it as soon as possible after delivery. This minimizes the chances they will do something to it or that it gets bird crap on it in the lot. The last ordered car I was involved with, I was able to easily talk the dealer out of the "prep", although they "lost" the second key (if they do this to you, I would report it to your insurance company, and perhaps the police, I should have). Their big argument about you taking the car with the plastic on and unwashed is that there might be shipping damage they can`t see and once you take it off the lot, they are no longer responsible. So look it over very carefully before you sign off.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Porsche/Audi dealer *insists* that I take any new cars from them "in the plastic", they don`t want to be responsible for the finish on *my* cars Next time I buy one I`ll probably do a quick prep there at the dealership with my stuff, similar to what Bill D. did on the Mercedes.

I let the Mazda dealer take the plastic off the MPV...big mistake, they scratched it in a few places and messed up the wheels/tires as per Setec`s experience. The resulting conversation with the owner of the dealership probably made a lasting impression

No way would I let them prep it, period. But that`s just me...If you decide to specify what they can/can`t do, get it in writing and make it clear that any deviation will result in a no-sale. Some places don`t take this sort of thing seriously, they`ll do what they want and assume that you`ll put up with it.

Thread Information