Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I just ordered a PC 7336 polisher with a backing plate and pads and I will be doing the first machine polish on my truck when I get it to remove some light scratches and restore some of the shine to the paint(which is only 3 years old). The question I have is, what would be a good combination of products( polish and wax) to use to really make the metallic silver sparkle? I`m not really looking for a deep wet look gloss that most people are after with darker colors...I want it to sparkle like chrome when the sun hits it and also be very reflective...any suggestions are greatly appreciated
    2003 Dodge Ram 1500 HEMI 4x4.

Post Thanks / Like
    "Best" is very subjective for something like this, but some Menzerna PO85RD followed with a few layers of Z2Pro would be what I`d go for to bling up the paint.

Post Thanks / Like
    Im also wondering this for my 1998 silver M3. Silver tends to be more like white in that it is difficult to make the paint look very reflective. So you need to go for plasticey shine rather than a deep warm gloss. Perhaps silver is worse than white because you have the bright metal flakes distracting from the shine of the clearcoat surface.

I tend to use Klasse SG and P21s for all cars but if anyone has a product they think does wonders for lighter colors...??

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Landerholm
    Im also wondering this for my 1998 silver M3. Silver tends to be more like white in that it is difficult to make the paint look very reflective. So you need to go for plasticey shine rather than a deep warm gloss. Perhaps silver is worse than white because you have the bright metal flakes distracting from the shine of the clearcoat surface.

I tend to use Klasse SG and P21s for all cars but if anyone has a product they think does wonders for lighter colors...??

When I had my silver c70, I got great looks with the Klasse twins and topped with P21s or Pinnacle paste glaze (now their series II).

If you are looking for something else, I highly recommend Four Star UPP or Einzett. They are one of the best that I have come across over the 4 or more years with my silver car.
    2001 Volvo S80 Black
    2002 Volvo C70 Silver

Post Thanks / Like
    Give Four Star Ultimate Paint Protection a try.

Post Thanks / Like
    UPP make a great shine but Jeff prime and Acrylic Jett is awesome on silver

Post Thanks / Like
    I like Duragloss on silver - 105 followed by AW.
    Once you buff black, you never go back

Post Thanks / Like
    My personal preference is Clearkote Vanilla Moose Wax Hand Glaze, followed by layered Pinnacle Souveran. On fully prepped paint.
    "A thing of beauty is a joy for ever: Its loveliness increases; it will never pass into nothingness; .... "

Post Thanks / Like
    Other than steering clear of "depth/darkening" LSPs such as Meg`s #26 (which I`m sure somebody *loves* on silver ) IMO it`s such a subtle, personal preference issue that you should just pick one of the normal, well-respected LSPs and see if you like it. And different silvers really can look completely different.

We always have at least four silver vehicles around here, and I typically use different LSPs on all of them- they all look different but good. FWIW, my wife`s fave is Souveran and mine is UPP. FWIW#2 I found that BF darkened (Audi) silver a bit too much for my taste, but you might not even notice it unless you parked it next to an identical car with something else on it. FWIW#3 KSG looks very different on different silvers, I disliked it so much on an Audi that I took it off, but it looked OK on a Subaru and looks pretty good on a Mazda.

Dave KG brings up a *very* good point about the prep- while silver hides flaws very well, the more of those flaws you eliminate the better it`s gonna look. The biggest pain can be getting the lighting/etc. right so you can see the flaws to work on them (incandescent lighting in an otherwise dark room works best for me).

As for which polishes- same as any other color, it`ll depend on the hardness of the paint and the severity of the marring. Sorry, I know that`s hardly a helpful answer

Post Thanks / Like
    Blackfire SRC, Prime Carnauba, CJ are awesome on silver
    Ric
    3Dog Garage
    HOGtailing is my business

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve used the zymol cleaner wax on my truck a couple times by hand, it`s a good product, but because it`s made with a variety of natural oils, etc. it is better suited for darker colored vehicles...I think I`m gonna use the bottle of 3M fine cut that I already have and then top it with the adam`s butter wax that I just picked up the other day...still open to suggestinos though, and I`d like to use products that I can get locally such as meguiars, 3M, mothers, auto magic, etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    I also have a 1998 M3 in silver and use liquid glass. It not them most popular choice here but it looks awesome. I have applied several coats. You could also try the LG prep and then top with the lsp.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve heard good and bad things about the liquid glass, I wouldn`t mind giving it a try...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HemiOn20s
    ...I think I`m gonna use the bottle of 3M fine cut that I already have and then top it with the adam`s butter wax...

Better plan to use some milder polish after the PI-II FCRC (and don`t breath the dust from that stuff!), I can`t get a ready-to-wax finish with it.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you want shiny consider Mothers FX Sywax. I`ve used it on my silver BMW and it is very reflective. It makes the car look lighter. I personally like the DG 105 slightly better because the car looks more grey but I still use the FX when I`m in the mood for more shine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information