Post Thanks / Like
    Hey All,

I`ve been a novice detailer for about a year...Only PC work and only my or my family`s cars. So my experience is OK, but no pro...

My dad has a few older Monte Carlo`s- 72, 74 and 87. All with paint in good shape for their age. All white, no rusting, but do have swirls. I`d like to detail them for him but am a little nervous.

What if anything do I change in my process with these older cars? How fragile is their paint? I`ve used the SSR line and really like it. Any help would be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Treat them the same way as you treat normal paint. Only problem is that the pads gum up with paint when doing heavy correction. IMO, it corrects easier than most clears.

Post Thanks / Like
    I did an 80,s Honda with no clear and that paint was hard, took a bit more to get the swirls out. But have no idea what older GM paint is like. Goodluck, let us know your process and how they turned out.
    07 Kia Sportage EX

07 Kia Rio

Dodge Dakota 4 door 4x4

Chrysler 300m Sold

92 Dodge Stealth RT TT Sold

Post Thanks / Like
    Does the theory that I can`t do too much harm without actively trying with a PC still apply?

Post Thanks / Like
    For the years of the cars i wouldn`t go too hard. They are white and won`t show marring and oxidation as much as red or black. Try a polish first and always be careful around edges. Single stage paint will correct itself (oxidation removal-swirls, to some degree).

Post Thanks / Like
    SDCJ-First, see if they really are single stage paint. The `72 and `74 are if they`re original (and *maybe if they were repainted) but I can`t remember about the `87....forget when GM switched to b/c on their solid colors.

Single stage white is usually *very* hard, about the hardest paint there is (due to the pigments that make it white). You shouldn`t have to worry about damaging it with the PC as long as you use some common sense. Don`t worry about pigment transfer on your pads. I would, however, check the panel edges, corners, and other "high points". If the paint has thinned there, tape it off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the input so far...

Yes, they are original paint. Funny you mention the edges, the 72 was covered for so many years that it actually wore down the paint on some spots. The detail won`t happen for a month or so, when I get back to Dallas, so I`m going to keep looking around for info...

Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Cool that they`re original! Doing those cars would be a treat.

I like Meguair`s stuff for single stage, especially products like their "pure polishes" after you`ve finished with the abrasive polishing (e.g., #3/#5/#7/#81/Deep Crystal step #2). I also like waxes on these paints as opposed to sealants.

Meg`s #80 will probably be too mild for any serious correction, but it`s the sort of thing that`d at least be safe to use. I`d much rather leave a lot of imperfections in the original paint than take off a lot of it trying to make things closer to "perfect".

Thread Information