Post Thanks / Like
    I tried wet sanding and it really didn`t make much of a difference. This pic is before I tried anything. It is rather large. Anything opinions? Should I use 1000 grit? I tried 2000.

Any help would be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn`t go anything less then 1500, 1200 is pushing my boundaries for extreme cases. I would stick with the 1500. if the touch up paint has a clear additive then it is probably harder then other types of touch paint. some types of touch up paint is softer then others when it cures. i would try tar and wax remover and a rag first try to remove as much as you can.

you have to becareful when wetsanding touch up paint, because you have a natural tendency to keep wetsanding one area till the touch up paint is gone to your likeing, but the problem with that is you can easily wetsand through the "good" surrounding paint, then you have just created a hugh eyesore. same goes when polishing, you might wetsand to the point that it does not burn through, but as soon as you put a buffer on it then you soon find out that you did now.

try the chemical first, less likely to do more damage

then you can try the wetsanding part.
    :bump Take your time and do the job right the first time

Post Thanks / Like
    unfortunately the touch up is rock hard. Paint thinner probably won`t do anything but I`ll give that a try.

Post Thanks / Like
    If it is rock hard, then yeah, the tar & was is not going to work, it sucks working with that hard stuff. Carefull on the thinner you use, some is more potent then others, i would test an inconspicous spot first, then if everything is fine there, then try to work the area. the thinner might not work on it either but worth a try.
    :bump Take your time and do the job right the first time

Post Thanks / Like
    Lacquer thinner is more potent than mineral spirits, and I`ve used it to remove touch up paint before. You may want to give that a shot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CroMag
    Lacquer thinner is more potent than mineral spirits, and I`ve used it to remove touch up paint before. You may want to give that a shot.

Sometimes it is the only way. It will soften the paint and might cause hazing. You might have to polish it after the paint re-hardens.

Thread Information