Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve order the Klasse twins for my new Rendezvous for winter. Like the bumpers, half of the body (lower) sides are a plastic or a vinyl material (same color as the rest).

Typically I`d think that this material shouldn`t be polished, but I`m thinking that AIO is more like a chemical cleaner and necessary to ensure that the SG bonds well.

So I`m thinking I should not use polish on these plastic/vinyl parts but it`s okay for AIO/SG.

Am I thinking straight on this ?

Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn`t think that you would treat those with Klasse. I would get a nice trim protectant like 303, PB Trim Restorer, etc. to treat those.
    2005 BMW 545i, my new baby

Post Thanks / Like
    SG works great on plastics like that. Be a little careful with the AIO, or you won`t get the white residue out of the texture (wipe off before it dries).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten
    I wouldn`t think that you would treat those with Klasse. I would get a nice trim protectant like 303, PB Trim Restorer, etc. to treat those.

These are painted plastics, not something you would used 303/ TR on... I`ve never had any problems using AIO/ JW Prime on these type panels.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, these panels should not get 303 - I have some black texture trim that gets that, but these body side moldings around wheel wells, bumpers and the doors are a very smooth plastic/vinyl like material that is the same color as the vehicle. Now I`m not sure if they are painted or colored thru and thru, but since they`re plastic, not painted metal, I wondered if they should be polished at all?

I`m thinking that AIO will be okay because it`s more a chemical cleaner than an abrasive polish, so unless someone here advises against it, I think AIO/SG is fine on these parts.

Post Thanks / Like
    :bounce Sounds like you are talking about the vinyl bumper caps, valence panels, etc., that are painted with the same paint as the rest of the car. Be a little more careful polishing those parts because the plastic won`t dissipate the heat as well as a metal panel.

You had us all confused thinking you were talking about textured plastic gray/black SUV trim, when you`re just talking about regular painted body parts that all cars have now, which is why you were getting trim dressing responses.

Post Thanks / Like
    Two types of plastic under discussion here, right?- the black stuff and the body-color stuff.

I use the Klasse twins on the textured black plastic on many of my vehicles. Started doing it on the WRX and I`m still doing it on the MPV. As noted, just use W-O-W-O and buff thoroughly.

And I polish body-color plastic with abrasives all the time. Watch the heat-dissipation issue (and look out for thin paint around the edges) and you should be fine. I even use the rotary on these surfaces.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    Two types of plastic under discussion here, right?- the black stuff and the body-color stuff.

I use the Klasse twins on the textured black plastic on many of my vehicles. Started doing it on the WRX and I`m still doing it on the MPV. As noted, just use W-O-W-O and buff thoroughly.

And I polish body-color plastic with abrasives all the time. Watch the heat-dissipation issue (and look out for thin paint around the edges) and you should be fine. I even use the rotary on these surfaces.

So the Klasse carrier doesn`t stain the black plastic?

also good to know about polishing the vinyl.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by abbeysdad
    So the Klasse carrier doesn`t stain the black plastic?

also good to know about polishing the vinyl.

The AIO has never stained black trim for me and I`ve even used it on *rubber* (the black rubber strips on my XJS`s bumpers). I do wipe it off before it dries though and I wouldn`t be surprised if it *did* stain if I were to let it dry. Of course YMMV/standard disclaimers about how one never knows for sure until it`s actually been tried...

Post Thanks / Like
    Did I say vinyl? I must have been sleeping! Urethane..urethane...

Post Thanks / Like
    Yea I was thinking that you were talking about black trim that goes around the bottom of the car.
    2005 BMW 545i, my new baby

Post Thanks / Like
    Please pardon me for beating this to death, there`s a lot of confusion on this thread

Quote Originally Posted by kaiten
    Yea I was thinking that you were talking about black trim that goes around the bottom of the car..

That`s the stuff I use the Klasse twins on. In the rare cases that doesn`t work then I resort to ERV dressings, but that isn`t often.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, now I`m confused again....ERV?

Thread Information