Post Thanks / Like
    First off, a big thank you to everyone who replied. The detailer and I have come to terms, he will be looking at the car. Now I`d like to try to reply to everyone`s questions and input.

1. Money was not the issue. The detailer is very good. Top of line products used throughout his process. I think he is a perfectionist, sometimes it hard to accept anything less then perfect everytime.

2. I`m new at this and have no pictures.

3. No, the car was not washed. No QD`s, wipedowns, car cover or use as a sliding board.

All fooling around with the wife in the garage was cancelled.

4. The detailer did send me a complete list of products used, how they were used and the

order in which they were used.

5. The paint on the car is far from perfect. But does that mean I or anyone should accept

a lesser effort from any detailer or new problems where none existed before?

6. Expose the detailer? I a very strong opinion about this. I have no right to do such a

thing. No right whatsoever. For all I know I could be wrong. The problem could be

the result of the crappy paint put on by GM or something else that was beyond the

detailers control.

I posted to try to understand the problem, what caused it and why a detailer would not give a car a second look in a case like this. I needed help to put it in words that I could understand. Detailing cars nowadays is both a science and an art.

Again, thank you to everyone who replied.

Post Thanks / Like
    I hope it all turns out well. Im sorry to hear about this misfortune. Where are you located? Its helpful to have your location in the box under your name.

Greg
    :usa

Post Thanks / Like
    If you list the products he used we can probably give you some more insight as to what he may have done wrong. Keep in mind, black is a very difficult color to get perfect, even well-seasoned detailers have some trouble finishing down black paint so that it doesn`t show some kind of micro-marring. :2thumbs:
    2003 CD Silver Focus SVT ZX5
    2014 Tuxedo Black Focus ST3

"You can always tell the way a man takes care of himself by the way he takes care of his car"

Post Thanks / Like
    Blackz28- If I`m reading this correctly, the car was detailed but the marring "came back".

Sounds to me like he must not`ve really used the right stuff to solve the problem to your satisfaction. Nothing wrong with temporary concealing of marring...*if* that`s what`s desired. Sounds like you desired that the marring actually be physically/mechanically eliminated instead and he failed to do this.

No you should never accept "lesser" efforts unless you agree to that up front (and it oughta be reflected in the price). IMO nobody should *EVER* accept new problems that weren`t there previously.

IMO you`re being too charitable by a country mile- saying he`s "very good" when the results are *not* good. A detailer is only as good as the finished detail

IMO you have every right to "expose" this detailer. For better or worse, what a person does/doesn`t do should determine their reputation. As long as you`re fair in your assessment of his work, there`s nothing wrong with expressing your opinion of the work.

Marring has nothing to do with the quality of paint ; the only factor that even enters in is the hardness, and even the softest paint (think black lacquer back in the day) should be workable with the right approach. If the paint is *so* soft that he can`t get it marring free (and thus must resort to concealing) he oughta at least say so.

I`m not saying it`s *easy*, but some pros here will try numerous pad/product/machine combinations before they find the right approach for a given job. That`s the sort of thing you`re paying for; that`s why he`s a "professional".

Anyhow, most GM paint is pretty hard and most people find it OK to work on (no weird problems, no need to resort to fillers).

IMO the "pro" just isn`t very good at this stuff, or at least not good enough to produce the results that *you* want. It could very well be that his other customers have lower standards than you have, perhaps he just doesn`t know that the job can be done to a higher standard. Not unusual, sad to say.

Yeah, posting which products he used might help us determine what`s going on.

Maybe you can explain what needs to be done, and even how to do it...but sheesh, that`s not *your* job as the customer. All you are supposed to do is say what you want and pay for it, the rest is up to him.

Gee, the above is a bit of a rant, huh

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like
    depending on the severity of the swirls it might not be in your best interest to remove every defect. Light swirls can be removed but deeper defects may require too much paint removal.

Thread Information