Post Thanks / Like
    Please bear with me as I try to explain this the best I can. The swirls are very fine looking and have a kind of round overlapping circular effect. By fine looking I mean they almost give the paint a kind of cloudy look. They are most evident on the hood, tops of the fenders and door panels and are horrendous looking in the sunlight. These swirls were not on the car prior to the detailing. When I first started to notice them they were very faint looking but within a matter of weeks they became more and more intense. The car is not a daily driver, it is garaged and has only 43k and change on the clock. It has not been washed since the detailing was done. I am trying to understand the cause of the problem and what can be done to avoid it or at least minimize the chances of it happening again when I have the car redone. Sadly, the detailing was done by a member. When I told him about the problem he refused to look at the car.

1994 Black Z28

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like the member is only in it for the money. You indicated that they appeared weeks after the detail..seems to me you aren`t putting the blame on him, just asking him to look at it and give you some advice. I would bet if you paid him some more dollars he would be willing to help.......what type of towels are you using to detail it? What type of mit for washing, drying, etc?

Whose yer DADDY!??!?!?!?! LastDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like a glaze was used and now the glaze is wearing off and the swirls are returning that had previously been masked with fillers. You got any pictures?

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome!

As LastDetail said , sounds like fillers. From your sig. you have a black car. Black will show defects more than any other color.

Now to your problem. Pictures would help, but it sounds like you have buffer swirls. It should be buffed out, with the proper products. If this guy is a member, than shame on him for not even looking at it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you wiped or washed the car since it was detailed?
    Triple Honda Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    Were the marks there when the detailer left? Were you pleased with the work enough to pay for it? How long did it take for the marks to appear? No one has touched the car since then? No washes? No QD`s or wipe downs?

Very professional of you not to mention his name, I know I would appreciate that.
    Word of Mouth Detailing
    A man with experience is not at the mercy of a man with an opinion

Post Thanks / Like
    You should expose the guy. If he`s not even willing to look at it then he deserves his name to be smeered. I bet he`d call you then....
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    Got any pics?

I bet they didnt even polish it...Just glaze hell of it :sadpace:

Post Thanks / Like
    This is not becomming of a forum member imho, it smears not only what I stand for but the forum as well. I agree with the others that he should AT LEAST look at the car again(talk about customer service!!), and then tell what his procedure was (ie. did he use a filler polish)...this guy needs to comment here to tell his side, and at least do the `right thing` otherwise I second what David Fermani said and smeer his name.
    2001 Volvo S80 Black
    2002 Volvo C70 Silver

Post Thanks / Like
    He ought to at least look at the car. I agree with the others, sounds like the glaze he used is wearing away and making the swirls it covered up apparent.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Calm down a little, fellers! What happened to innocent until proven guilty? SpoiledMan asked some relevent questions; the OP stated the car has not been washed, but has it been wiped down? Car cover put on/removed? CCD? Kids using the shiny car as a sliding board? I think the OP, since this is his first post, needs to establish a little credibility before we condemn this unknown forum member...sometimes a few details, pardon the pun, are left out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Any idea what products were used?
    Word of Mouth Detailing
    A man with experience is not at the mercy of a man with an opinion

Post Thanks / Like
    Not to be an ***, but this guy thought his black 94 did not have swirls to start with!

If his paint was so great why did he get it detailed?

I also think it was a glaze that wore off

but what did this guy pay for?

and what has he done to it since the detail?

I hope the "member" who did this would chime in with his side of the story

and explain what he did and why he will not look at it!

Post Thanks / Like
    First off, a big thank you to everyone who replied. The detailer and I have come to terms, he will be looking at the car. Now I`d like to try to reply to everyone`s questions and input.

1. Money was not the issue. The detailer is very good. Top of line products used throughout his process. I think he is a perfectionist, sometimes it hard to accept anything less then perfect everytime.

2. I`m new at this and have no pictures.

3. No, the car was not washed. No QD`s, wipedowns, car cover or use as a sliding board.

All fooling around with the wife in the garage was cancelled.

4. The detailer did send me a complete list of products used, how they were used and the

order in which they were used.

5. The paint on the car is far from perfect. But does that mean I or anyone should accept

a lesser effort from any detailer or new problems where none existed before?

6. Expose the detailer? I a very strong opinion about this. I have no right to do such a

thing. No right whatsoever. For all I know I could be wrong. The problem could be

the result of the crappy paint put on by GM or something else that was beyond the

detailers control.

I posted to try to understand the problem, what caused it and why a detailer would not give a car a second look in a case like this. I needed help to put it in words that I could understand. Detailing cars nowadays is both a science and an art.

Again, thank you to everyone who replied.

Thread Information