Post Thanks / Like
    Well, ive searched through some threads trying to figure this out, but im still confused. I was working on a customers mr-2 yesterday, it had been repainted a year ago, and it only had minor swirls, so i was taking it easy. I was using a rotary, with an edge2k blue pad, 3m glaze for dark cars (fillers, yes i know), at about 1300 rpm. After buffing one of the a pillers, i noticed a spot towards the hood that almost seemed like basecoat. First i tried some qd, and no luck. So then i felt the texture, it felt rough...not smooth like the rest of the clearcoated car. I started to get worried, and thought i would have been safe buffing in a garage, especially on a car that was repainted a year ago. Well, I through some more 3m product on there, and made another pass...voila, the spot is smooth again, and no noticeable blemish.

It must have been like an hour later when I started doing the trunk. Spread the polish at 600rpm, and turned it back up to around 1300. I make a few light passes, on edge for most of the time due to the tight fit, when i notice my pad starting to get eaten up by the vents in the middle of the engine , so i stop. I take a look, and i notice the same effect, looks like burned paint, rough texture, but i didnt want to try rebuffing this area due to time constraints, and the tight fit. I didnt have much time to finish the car up before his daughter came and picked it up to him, so i had to leave the paint like that. My worry is that hes going to think its a burn mark, whether it is or isnt. The spot in question isnt very noticeable, and isnt very big, but its the principle of it all.

Does anybody have any idea what it could of been? The first and the second spot. After i rebuffed the first spot, it looked just like the rest of the paint, you couldnt tell at all. However, the car did have horrendous holograms, and some swirls, and i took care of all of that. But i just cant get this out of my head, i keep wondering if it is a burn mark or isnt it. The first and the second both appears to be burns marks, but the texture was somewhat rough. Would polished basecoat be rough or smooth? Sorry i cant get any pictures, i tried to explain it best i can. Ill try to get a picture sometime in the next few days, and ill talk to the guy on monday to see what he thinks. This just seems a bit weird...

Post Thanks / Like
    3M for dark cars ehh? You got the classic heated up build up from the product. That stuff is notorious for it. It should wipe right off with a little compound.

Post Thanks / Like
    im hoping thats what it is. i keep leaning towards burnt paint just because i couldnt wipe it off, and it didnt seem above the surface, it seemed level. but how the first example came off with a bit more 3m was what confused me. im thinking about just using scratchx on that area because its a very awkward spot.

Thread Information