Post Thanks / Like
    Hey guys

I know alot of you guys are going to say to get a PC but I can`t afford one right now so I`m looking to hand polish. See last time I washed the car was a few weeks back (is my parents car and they are always busy).

I did:

Meg`s Nxt Gen Wash

Clay Magic Clay

Black Magic 1 coat

I don`t have halogen lights yet and I didn`t properly look over my paint so when I was finished and admiring the shine the next day I saw swirl marks galore on my trunk

I was just wondering what you guys think would be the best newbie hand polish along with some applicators or any other recommendations you guys can offer towards any products I should use. (i.e something to reduce swirls, waxes, polishes etc)

(2000 silver Toyota Corolla)

Thanks in advance guys.

Post Thanks / Like
    Meguiars ScratchX

Post Thanks / Like
    ...and a whole lotta patience. It can be done, but it definitely takes an extra dose of elbow grease.

If you decide to throw up your hands in surrender, there are some decent glazes you can apply before waxing that contain fillers to help hide the imperfections. BTW, be glad you`re working on a silver car, the color tends to hide this stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    I know that ScratchX is good for removing swirls, but how is ColorX? It removes oxidation and restores color, but how is the swirl removing ability?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by velobard
    BTW, be glad you`re working on a silver car, the color tends to hide this stuff.

I know I`m lucky but I still know about it so it bothers me. How do I apply the scratch-X by hand? Any specific type of applicator pad and circular motion? figure 8? Any suggestions for glazes (how are these applied as well)?

Side Question: How can I have multiple coats of Black Magic wax?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lp2137
    I know I`m lucky but I still know about it so it bothers me. How do I apply the scratch-X by hand? Any specific type of applicator pad and circular motion? figure 8?
    http://www.guidetodetailing.com/arti...p?articleId=17

Any suggestions for glazes (how are these applied as well)?

Side Question: How can I have multiple coats of Black Magic wax?

I`m not familiar with Black Magic wax so I don`t know whether it`s a cleaner wax that you can`t layer. As far as glazes, I have a bunch of 3M Fill n Glaze I bought in bulk when shop gave me a deal on a dusty gallon jug. It`s discontinued, but I could sell some if you`re interested, just PM me. There are plenty of other decent filler glazes on the market, I`m just not familiar with them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mikebai1990
    I know that ScratchX is good for removing swirls, but how is ColorX? It removes oxidation and restores color, but how is the swirl removing ability?

Pretty mild, not really what I`d choose for marring removal. It`s a good cleaner wax, though, just not in the same league as Scratch-X.

Quote Originally Posted by lp2137
    I was just wondering what you guys think would be the best newbie hand polish along with some applicators or any other recommendations you guys can offer towards any products I should use. (i.e something to reduce swirls, waxes, polishes etc)..

You can still do some very impressive work by hand, though it might take some time and effort. Don`t aim for perfection, aim for "significantly better", it`ll help preserve your sanity.

There`s nothing wrong with the Scratch-X, it`s a great OTC product for isolated scratches. I dunno about doing the whole vehicle with it though.

I always recommend 1Z brand polishes for by-hand work. Nothing else even comes close IMO though I`ll admit I haven`t tried every product out there. Their Paint Polish oughta work fine on your silver car. I`d top it with Collinite wax. I think PAKSHAK carries both (along with some really great microfiber towels ).

Post Thanks / Like
    I would vote for meguiars scratch x. It will take a lot of time and alot of muscle but by working 1x1 foot sections at a time you can drastically improve your finish. Color X will also freshen up your paint but I dont think it has the cut that scatch x does.

Greg
    :usa

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmm I think I`ll pick up some ScratchX. Do I have to use a glaze? If I do, do any of ya suggest any?

Side Question: I do have some NXT tech paste wax sitting around (year old) Would that be easier to layer than Black magic?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GregCavi
    I would vote for meguiars scratch x. It will take a lot of time and alot of muscle but by working 1x1 foot sections at a time you can drastically improve your finish. Color X will also freshen up your paint but I dont think it has the cut that scatch x does.

Greg

^^^What he said. Also look at applying it more than once (probably about 3X) to get noticeable results. There are diminishing abrasives so once the abrasives break down you need to reapply more product. Don`t be afraid to use some elbow grease or as Mike Phillips of Meguiar`s likes to call it "put some passion behind the pad."

Thread Information