Post Thanks / Like
    so my dad would like me to wash and polish/wax our 2001 chevy suburban.. its black and its in need of a good detail..i dont have pics but the paint is very rough..and it has a ton of swirl marks and fine scratches all over it.. its a horid sight.

I bought a PC the other day and my pads should be in soon, i orderd the wolfgang dual action foam pad kit on their site. It should be in tomarow. I would like to just run to a local autoparts store and pick up some polish and wax... what would work out well... my dad always uses turtle wax products.

What steps should i follow and what products should i use to make this car look new agian?
    2006 VW GTI 2.0T.

2003 Yamaha R6

2002 Jaguar X-type (sold)

1981 Chevy Monte Carlo (field car)

Post Thanks / Like
    First off, when it comes to rubbing and polishing compounds stay far away from the junk Turtle Wax sells. If he`s determined to stick with Turtle Wax for wax, then the Ice line is pretty decent from what I read on here, but I don`t know how well it does with hiding imperfections and that something you`re gonna want. It`s tough to find OTC polishes that will do what you want and frankly, you`re diving into the deep end to try to start with a huge black vehicle in rough condition. All those factors are gonna mean you have your work cut out for you. If you`re determined to use polish you can buy locally, then perhaps you can do some good with 3M Perfect-It polish. They also have a Swirl Mark Remover, but it`s doesn`t have as much cut to it as the name would seem to imply, it`s pretty much for just fine micro-scratches. If you could order something online that would do a better job (IMO) I`d say start with something like OHC and follow up with OP. They do a good job and tend to resist dusting pretty well.

Do not expect perfection on this effort. You`ll spend hours sweating over this thing and get frustrated because it`s gonna be a hard job. Black shows scratches worse than any other color and since it`s in rough shape you`re gonna have plenty of scratches. Oh yeah, for an OTC wax that is supposed to hide a few imperfections, Mequiars NXT is decent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just found another great thread that might give you some guidance. Take note of how much time he spent on this project and how much less paint surface he was dealing with.

Post Thanks / Like
    You might pick up some Meg`s ColorX. I`ve seen numerous good reviews of this product and I`m pretty sure it can be used with a PC.
    Mike
    Driven Auto Detail

Thread Information