Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carnuba over DG

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve been reading and reading on here about all the different sealants and waxes. I keep seeing nothing comes close to a good carnuba in looks and shine.

So after applying DG 105 followed by AW last week I tried putting Mothers CG carnuba over them just on one fender as a test. It seems to have more depth and wetness, but then again the rest hasn`t been washed in a few days.

Has anybody else tried this or have any thoughts?
    07 Kia Sportage EX

07 Kia Rio

Dodge Dakota 4 door 4x4

Chrysler 300m Sold

92 Dodge Stealth RT TT Sold

Post Thanks / Like
    Topping a sealant with a carnauba will add the depth/warmth/wetness that sealants usually lack
    Phoenix & Scottsdale Detailer

Post Thanks / Like
    Topping sealants has long been a favorite combo for looks. However, I think sealant technology has come a long way in recent times, and, in my opinion, the need for a carnauba`s "wetness and depth" is decreasing, for me at least. I haven`t used a carnauba wax in several years now....they just don`t offer any benefits to me any longer... Kinda a shame actually...I`ve got a nearly full tin of Blitz, 2 of S100, and others just collecting dust.

Many still swear by their (carnauba) looks, and that`s great for their personal preference. I would suggest you try whatever combo you think you`ll like, and decide if it`s worth the effort or not to you.

If you do top, you will not be able to add more 105, without stripping it all back off...
    2003 G35 - protected & perfected with Zaino [Zaino, made for those who refuse to live in a world full of compromises]

Post Thanks / Like
    I actually do not see much need. My wife`s hunter green jeep looks deep and wet with 105 and AW alone. Test the other fender with AW and then compare to the one with GC. If the carnauba side looks better to you, then try the whole car with carnauba. If not then I would stick with AW since it is so easy and fast to apply. I sometimes touch up with wax just because I like to wax the car. You know how it is... :chuckle:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerMike
    Topping sealants has long been a favorite combo for looks. However, I think sealant technology has come a long way in recent times, and, in my opinion, the need for a carnauba`s "wetness and depth" is decreasing, for me at least. I haven`t used a carnauba wax in several years now....they just don`t offer any benefits to me any longer...

Many still swear by their (carnauba) looks, and that`s great for their personal preference. I would suggest you try whatever combo you think you`ll like, and decide if it`s worth the effort or not to you.

If you do top, you will not be able to add more 105, without stripping it all back off...

That`s why I did just one fender! I`m getting the truck out in a few minutes to see in the sun if it really did make a difference. Too much time on my hands today!!
    07 Kia Sportage EX

07 Kia Rio

Dodge Dakota 4 door 4x4

Chrysler 300m Sold

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry to Hijack but.....

Tigermike if you`d like to get rid of one of those s100`s drop me a PM I would be more then happy to take it off your hands.

Post Thanks / Like
    I like to do the DG - Carnuba - DG setup. First I use 101 on a finishing pad via Cyclo, wiped off, then FK Pink via hand, then AquaWax to remove the Pink Wax.
    Once you buff black, you never go back

Post Thanks / Like
    It finally quit raining and dried up so I could pull my truck out and compare the Fender with the rest of the truck.

There was absolutely no difference in the Mothers over the DG, and the 105 and AW only. I looked at all angles, no difference in shine, depth, or wetness.

So no sense in waxing with a carnuba over the DG!
    07 Kia Sportage EX

07 Kia Rio

Dodge Dakota 4 door 4x4

Chrysler 300m Sold

Post Thanks / Like
    What color is the truck?

Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    07 Kia Sportage EX

07 Kia Rio

Dodge Dakota 4 door 4x4

Chrysler 300m Sold

Post Thanks / Like
    Yea just get more coats of 105 on there waiting 30 min before buffing it off; also before putting the 105 use their QD on the paint first. Then after 3rd coat you should be golden.

mongo

Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldnt do it.

Duragloss is some really nice stuff. After claying and polishing, lay downa coat of their bonding agent, then 1-3 coats of 105. After it cures, I allow 10 hrs per coat on my personal ride. Then top with Aquawax.

THe good thing about this is not only will you have beautiful deph, but you can maintain the DG look with aquawax inbetween washes. Many people do this for 6 months at a time before redoing the whole process.

My .02, not worth it to top a carnuba and ruin the easily maintainable shine. Ive tiped off some friends with black cars about the DG process, and they couldnt be happier.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have 1 coat bonding agent, 3 coats 105 and have topped with AW twice now. I couldn`t be happier with a product then with the DG stuff I have tried!
    07 Kia Sportage EX

07 Kia Rio

Dodge Dakota 4 door 4x4

Chrysler 300m Sold

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome, very glad to hear of your results! Keep up the good work with DG! The 105+AW combo are very tough to beat.

Personally, I think you made a good choice not topping DG with caunauba.

2003 G35 - protected & perfected with Zaino [Zaino, made for those who refuse to live in a world full of compromises]

Post Thanks / Like
    You can use the bonding agent anytime you want before aplyin the 105.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information