Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey guys and gals...customer of mine who i detailed the Lotus Elise a month ago just bought a brand new boat and wants me to detail it. It is about 17 ft long and 7ft wide jet boat, orange in color. It is brand new and I dont think it has even seen water yet. He told me though that it has sat outside the place where he bought it and has some oxidation/dullness etc. I have never detailed a boat before. I know boats have gelcoats...anyone got any tips before I detail it tomorrow. He said he bought some Meguiars cleaning products, what exactly, i dont know. Any tips would be appreciated. Will probably use APC and various products to clean. Claybar?? I have no idea, probably wouldnt hurt....I would imagine since I believe gelcoats are much harder than clears on cars that the rotary with cutting pad and compound should suffice for oxidation removal and bring out the shine? Would a wool pad be better or worse than the LC pads? I know they have gelcoat specific pads for boats but I dont have any and dont have the tmie to get them. What RPMS should I be using with the rotary? I was thinking anywhere from 1500-1700. Whew. Thanks folks. Im actually somewhat excited to be doing a boat. :spot
    Refined Detailing

Chris - Sole Proprietor

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh for LSP...I guessing boat waxes are more for durability then say looks...do you all think Zaino or Collinite IW845 would hold up nicely? Or should I use specifically a boat wax that the owner may have bought?
    Refined Detailing

Chris - Sole Proprietor

Post Thanks / Like
    I would like to know as well. I have a bass boat lined up, owner mainly wants interior, but he also wants polishing on the top part of the boat.

How do we treat it? Exactly the same as a car?
    Mobile Auto Detailing

-Tu Nguyen

Post Thanks / Like
    The main rules of thumb for boats is that you can step in (and usually have to) much harder than on a car. Gelcoat is rather strong and a bit tough to correct. No need to clay.

You can usually use a compound and cutting pad and finish clean. I usually jump in with Meguiar`s DACP, Optimum Hyper Compound, or a light cut compound that finishes almost clean on cars. Usually a one-step polish + LSP will be sufficient.

For LSPs, well, Collonite originated for boats back in the day. The vehicle sector was just a bonus. My marine clients all swear by the entire Collonite line. Try to find their Metal Wax as it works absolute wonders on all metals (cleans.seals).

Post Thanks / Like
    Im in line to get our marlin 17 footer detailed some time this summer. I too need some information on this. Our boat has seen hours upon hours of boating (it stays at our cabin) so it has alot of crap on the outside.

Would

washing

claying

AIO do the trick?

Dont meant o hijack but I need some answers as well, same topic so It shouldnt hurt I suppose. :getdown

Post Thanks / Like
    Cosmo: AIO works GREAT on boats.

http://autopia.org/forum/showthread....ghlight=whaler

I used it on that Boston Whaler. It won`t remove swirls, but it will take away chemical defects.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dont be worried about hi-jacking the thread, you arent. Detailing boats is not a topic brought on this forum for obvious reasons. Im gonna try a few things tomorrow with some before and after pics. I will try different polishes, cleansers, etc. and report back in tomorrow night. Hopefully I will help answer some questions other people may have as well. I will use the Rotary to polish as PC with the gel coat may not do squat to do any type of corrections. The owner isnt expecting swirl free finish and neither am I, but good overall clean up and shine!
    Refined Detailing

Chris - Sole Proprietor

Post Thanks / Like
    So you didnt use any clay on that boat, btw nice job :2thumbs:

Post Thanks / Like
    Sean I was actually thinking of using the Flitz Metal and Fiberglass polish to see how that works. Im pretty sure that will work well. My bottle of AIO is gone from me lending it to someone So im not gonna have that on hand tomorrow morning.
    Refined Detailing

Chris - Sole Proprietor

Post Thanks / Like
    Chris: Flitz will fit the bill well. I`ve never really had a negative experience with it.

Post Thanks / Like
    fk1 #1000 2 finish

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like
    Zaino, Duragloss or Collinite

Post Thanks / Like
    yeah i was very suprised what aio could do to a boat

Post Thanks / Like
    If AIO works then maybe Prime will too? I have Prime, P:Carnauba, P:Strong. Think I`ll work with OHC and Prime Strong on the boat.
    Mobile Auto Detailing

-Tu Nguyen

Post Thanks / Like
    I demand pictures my friend! :getdown

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information