Post Thanks / Like
    I just detailed my 03 black VW Jetta a couple days ago to a perfect finish. today I wash it "very carefully with multi buckets and wool mitt" and find lots of micro-marring. This hapens all the time and it`s driving me nuts. I`ve detailed other years of black VW Jettas and their clears are not soft like mine, those I find I can finish with a polishing pad then LSP. I can "lightly" rub my paint with my finger tips and the paint mars . Most people find VW paint very hard, but mine sure isn`t. Before the LSP I have to polish with a finishing pad and a fine polish, otherwise I get a lot of micro-marring. I can`t even think of finishing with a polishing pad. Anyways I`m done ranting and I think I feel better now :think:
    2010 Nissan 370Z

Superior Auto Care

Post Thanks / Like
    I recently worked on a Black metallic 06` Passat, and I found the paint to be relatively soft. I mean it wasn`t butter soft, but not rock hard like everyone says. My mother`s black BMW X3 is awful, mars even with the softest MF, so I feel you`re pain. Find a good glaze and save you`re sanity(and your paint thickness).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigpoppa3346
    I recently worked on a Black metallic 06` Passat, and I found the paint to be relatively soft. I mean it wasn`t butter soft, but not rock hard like everyone says. My mother`s black BMW X3 is awful, mars even with the softest MF, so I feel you`re pain. Find a good glaze and save you`re sanity(and your paint thickness).

Come back in 12 months and tell me how soft it is. Volvo clear is rock hard after 6months, I think VW is the same.

Post Thanks / Like
    hit it with some red moose glaze....

Post Thanks / Like
    I`d use a foamgun to wash, probably with a BHB for the first passes. And I`d find a LSP that dirt doesn`t stick to.

FWIW, I can`t wash much of anything without a foamgun and not find some light marring. You might try filling the mitt with wash solution (hold it underwater in the wash bucket with the cuff pointing up) and then just *very gently* jiggling it across the surface while the shampoo mix seeps out of it. Hold it away from the paint so there`s hardly any pressure.

The jiggling motion when washing (as opposed to making the usual wide swipes) should ensure that any marring that *does* occur will consist of very short scratches. If a scratch is only 1/4" long it won`t show up like a 4" long one will.

Thread Information