Thread: 06 Xterra

Post Thanks / Like
    how are they to detail??? what have you used on the all the plastic trim?? thinking of buying, want to know if it`ll be pain to keep up...

Post Thanks / Like
    no one has detailed a new Xterra??

Post Thanks / Like
    Nothing Different. I would use tire shine or any other exterior trim product.

I haven`t done one, but it is still just paint and plasitc
    :soscared:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mrzeee
    how are they to detail??? what have you used on the all the plastic trim?? thinking of buying, want to know if it`ll be pain to keep up...

I can see where it would be a fair amount of work to keep it pristine... all kinds of angles & creases & rails & baskets & textured surfaces & what not...

It`s not a simple, uncomplicated body style that you could run a water blade over & have it dried off in 10 minutes.

I don`t have an Xterra, but I`ve got a Saturn Vue. It takes me about 2 hours to wash & dry it properly. I took the roof bars off to speed things up a little, but still lots of nooks & crannies that have to be dried out . It takes time. Polishing was a challenge due to all the creases & seams & contour changes. Plus, the flow from painted surfaces to raw plastic necessitated a lot of taping off. It can be done, it just takes TIME. I spent two hours just taping up all the plastic, prior to polishing. Maybe I overdid it a bit, but better safe than sorry. There`s a lot of surface area to cover. Yes, I polish the roof as well... two coats of NXT, topped with Natty`s Blue.

Now, when I had my Lincoln Mark VIII LSC, that was a SUPER easy car to wash & dry- less than an hour. Very sleek & aerodynamic, tight body panels, & not a lot of door jambs to dry out. A regular pickup truck would most likely be easier than an Xterra- lots of flat panels that you can move through quickly.

Nothing against the Xterra... I`d love to have one (in white) with the 4.0 V6 & a manual, but would be more likely upgrade my `01 mustang GT convertible to a Brazen Orange `06 Pontiac GTO 6 speed (w/ the 18" wheels) first.

Some vehicles are just easier to maintain than others. It`s something to think about if you`re fanatical about keeping your ride clean & don`t want to spend the requisite time to do it.

Anyhow, my 2 cents worth...

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks for the info...I`ll be trading in my 350Z for the Xterra...and the Z was relatively eazy detail...my girls Murano isn`t bad either just fairly large...just as noted creased and tons of plastic...but still looking for Xterra detail exp...

Post Thanks / Like
    I have spent plenty of time detailing Xterra`s. And like stated above, it`s still just paint and plastic. However, it does take more time than say, a Honda Accord (duh!). I use Meg`s hyperdressing on all the plastic and tires. It goes really quick doing the tires and trim with the same product. Hyperdressing goes on really even once you get the sprayer set how you want it and it spreads really easy to a nice even sheen.

Post Thanks / Like
    Chemical Guy`s Extreme Liquid Shine (Oil-Based) is the only way to go on those Xterras. It`s comprable to Poorboy`s Trim Restorer, just spray it on and buff it in with a towel that you don`t particularly care about. You should get 3-4 weeks durability out of it and its only about 30 bucks for a gallon, which should last you 3-5 years. Life`s just too short to use Back to Black.

It shouldn`t be too hard to keep up, plastic trim is just less paint that you have to polish . Be careful about taping the edges and not using a rotary/not using too much product with a DA, as cleaning compound sling off those panels is an absolute nightmare. Consider getting a good work platform too, to help you dry off the roof and upper panels.
    Once you buff black, you never go back

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks for the info on the trim....no offense, but to the paint and plastic comments...that could apply to any vehicle and then why would we need a forum for the discussion of detailing vehicles :nixweiss

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ll have to disagree with Jason M. Hyper dressing from Meg`s detail line is water based (which is why it is dilutable) and thus would most likely wash off quicker than a silicone based dressing like All-Season Dressing. I have both..I used hyper for the interior and all season for the exterior and wheel wells. Many people use hyper on the exterior but to me it just seems like a waste. It would be like putting a water based interior paint on a barn instead of an oil based paint....know what I mean?

Post Thanks / Like
    bye bye Z

base of 16

topped with OCW

finished with Prestone Quickshine

hello X

quick "detail"

megs colorx

topped with OCW

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rsxgamer
    I`ll have to disagree with Jason M. Hyper dressing from Meg`s detail line is water based (which is why it is dilutable) and thus would most likely wash off quicker than a silicone based dressing like All-Season Dressing. I have both..I used hyper for the interior and all season for the exterior and wheel wells. Many people use hyper on the exterior but to me it just seems like a waste. It would be like putting a water based interior paint on a barn instead of an oil based paint....know what I mean?
    Fair enough. I see your point. However, I painted houses and fine woodwork for 10 years and most products now are water based. Durablility of water based stains is equal to oil based stains. As far as Hyper Dressing`s durability goes, I think it`s pretty good. I also like that I can cut it to whatever sheen I am going for. Just curious, have you actually noticed improved durability with All-Season Dressing over Hyper Dressing? I`m not questioning you, just wondered if you have done a back to back.

And the Xterra looks great! Love that color.

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks...the pic makes it look a bit blueish(camera phone)..but its a pearl dark grey...I want to get a good polish on the X to bring out the pearl...

Post Thanks / Like
    How`s the surface condition?

Post Thanks / Like
    surface condtion? maybe you can see the orange peel in this pic(after 2 mini detail - NXT wash+OCW)

door panel

hood shot:

Post Thanks / Like
    I just did an `05 Xterra over the weekend and found it fine to detail, nothing too hard.

The owner removed the tray on the roof and I was able to navigate it easily.

For the trim, I used a spray selant, Zaino Z8, which produced a touch of sheen and better protection than most dressings.

Thread Information