Post Thanks / Like
    Hi everyone,

Please forgive me if this is a stupid question or not, but I am trying to find out if there is any difference between Color Sand and Buff and Wet Sand and Buff?

The reason I ask is because my car was vandalized and the body shop wants to refinish most of the scratches and then the rest they want to Color Sand and Buff out... any input on this?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Honolulu, Hawaii, Land of $6-per-gallon milk!
    Post Thanks / Like
    The two terms pretty much are used to describe the same process, although the term "color sanding" probably has its origins in the days when paint was single-stage (no clear coat). Basically, using an abrasive paper or fabric with water or some similar lubricant to carry away the paint particles so they don`t load up the abrasive as quickly so the abrasive can do the work.

Edit: the shop has to REALLY careful with the sanding if the paint has a factory clearcoat, as it`s very thin. Other Autopians have stronger feelings about sanding factory clear. Sorry to hear about the vandalism; I do know how that feels, but such is the world we live in today.
    "Crush enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of the women!" - Conan the Barbarian, on what is good in life

Current ride: 1992 Toyota Cressida, last of the great ones, RWD rules, baby!

Post Thanks / Like
    yep both the same thing, and yes the term color sanding would come from years ago before clearcoats were common

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the help.

I`m very skeptical about the Color Sand and Buff to take out scratches as I can feel some of them with my finger nail, I`m almost tempted to tell them to refinish the panels, but the guys at the body shop swear the scratches will buff out.

Honolulu, Hawaii, Land of $6-per-gallon milk!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, sure they`ll buff out if they sand deep enough! But there are threads here discussing the relative thinness (like Saran Wrap) of factory clearcoat, and if reduced appreciably, will bring about the failure of said clearcoat that much sooner as it is exposed to the environment. They can sand it a little to even out the appearance, but I think the better way to go would be with some skilled rotary work to round off the edges of the scratch so it doesn`t reflect light as much.
    "Crush enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of the women!" - Conan the Barbarian, on what is good in life

Current ride: 1992 Toyota Cressida, last of the great ones, RWD rules, baby!

Thread Information