Post Thanks / Like
    I recently bought a 2007 Avalanche(Black) and of course want to protect it and give it a full detail.

I`m wondering what to use for light swirls. I`ve searched and read, but everything I`ve read deals with heavier swirls than those on my Avalanche. I don`t want to use something too agressive and end up with more work than necessary.

Any recommendations on what product to use to remove these swirls ?

Here`s a pic of a section of the hood:

(Ignore the smuge mark shooting out to the right from the sun. I wiped the section with my MF cloth before taking a pic and it left a smudge.)

One other thing... this may be a separate issue require a different product, but I noticed some light holograms on the tailgate. I checked out the whole truck and the tailgate is the only place I`m seeing the holograms. Would this require a different product and if so, which one?

Thank you...

Post Thanks / Like
    Menzerna FPII would be a good choice on black.

Megs Scratch-X by hand perhaps, if you don`t have a PC.
    John

JEMM Auto Detailing - Serving the Greater Binghamton, NY area

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by audicoupej
    Menzerna FPII would be a good choice on black.

Megs Scratch-X by hand perhaps, if you don`t have a PC.

I`d second the Menzerna FPII recommendation if you are using a PC or rotary. Great product on the polishing pad @ 5-6 or 1500 rpm (depending on your buffer of choice).

Meguiar`s Scratch-X works well by hand, but it will take a while to do a black Avalanche.

Good Luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, luckily I have a PC

What pad should I use?

Post Thanks / Like
    Based on what I have it would be a white lc pad at 5-6(PC) like Sean said.

I would apply pressure as you see fit. GM clear is on the hard side, but for the last pass use very little pressure. Then it should be perfect!
    John

JEMM Auto Detailing - Serving the Greater Binghamton, NY area

Post Thanks / Like
    I would first strip your LSP to determine if there were really holograms all over, or just on the tailgate. If they buffed the whole car, then waxed everything with a typical cover up cleaner wax minus the tailgate, the wax could be hiding holograms in other places.

-Shaun

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, I just re-examined the swirls. Actually they`re a little worse than what`s shown in the pic I posted. What would be just a tad more agressive that the FPII that was recommended?

Also, I could`ve sworn I saw a webpage listing several of these products and comparing their levels of agressiveness. Does anyone have a link to such a page?

Thanks...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warez
    What would be just a tad more agressive that the FPII that was recommended?

Also, I could`ve sworn I saw a webpage listing several of these products and comparing their levels of agressiveness. Does anyone have a link to such a page?

Thanks...

Menzerna Power Gloss

http://search.store.yahoo.com/cgi-bi...zerna&x=9&y=19

RET

Post Thanks / Like
    Menzerna PG sounds way to agressive to me. Menzerna IP on a LC orange pad or similar should do the trick on the holograms. Start with FPII/white and work your way up from there. Do you have any polishes availiable to you right now?

Post Thanks / Like
    Why did you accept the vehicle like that in the first place? What about complaining to the dealer and have them pay for a professional job or at least the cost of all the materials needed to fix their mistake.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigpoppa3346
    Menzerna PG sounds way to agressive to me. Menzerna IP on a LC orange pad or similar should do the trick on the holograms. Start with FPII/white and work your way up from there. Do you have any polishes availiable to you right now?
    Other than some 4 year old 3M SMR(39009) and Zaino that`s been in the garage, I don`t have anything.(Yes, I`ve been meaning to throw it all out.) So basically, I`m starting all over.

Quote Originally Posted by DFTowel
    Why did you accept the vehicle like that in the first place? What about complaining to the dealer and have them pay for a professional job or at least the cost of all the materials needed to fix their mistake.
    Are you talking about the swirls or the hologram? If it`s swirls, I dunno about you, but every car on every lot I`ve even seen has swirls. Heck, I`ve even seen dealership detailers wiping down cars with red shop rags!

If it`s the hologram though... well, it really is kinda minor and I just didn`t notice it at the dealership. It wasn`t until several days later, when the sun was hitting the tailgate just right, that I saw it.

Post Thanks / Like
    i had the same problem when i got my car from the dealer, holograms all over the place. Optimum polish with an orange pad worked great for me. just time consuming.

Thread Information