Post Thanks / Like
    I know that rust should be more of a bodyshop thing, but I`d like to see what you guys think. Also it would be great if you guys know of another forum that discusses specifically bodywork like this.

This is the situation. I have a 1993 Acura Vigor and noticed that my right rear wheelwell was rusting pretty badly. At the time, I didn`t do anything, and now it`s getting worse. I know that I should`ve fixed it up IMMEDIATELY, but now it`s a bit late

I`ve heard that either I have to weld a new piece of metal in place of the rusted area, or I can use lots of sandpaper to get rid of most of the rust. The thing is I`m not sure how deep the rust has eaten into the metal. I will post pictures tonight since I`m not home right now.

I really appreciate any comments or suggestions, although I understand that you guys can`t do much without the photos of my specific rusting situation. Maybe some tips on products (bondo, rust inhibitors, etc...) that can be used in the process of fixing up the rust before I post the pics? Thanks, guys.

Post Thanks / Like
    Without seeing it it`s hard to say what`ll be required, but IMO (and I`ve done this stuff) the only way to go is a professional repair. And it`s not easy finding a shop that can do good rust repairs either.

Post Thanks / Like
    if its rusting from inside out then chances are you will need a new peice cut in and welded

if its light surface rust then you may get away with sanding/dremel/sandblast and then por15 or rustbullet

por15 and rustbullet are about the only products that come close to thier claims..even then i dont believe they stop rust, but with carefull use it may well slow it enough to keep under control

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, I got some pictures:

Please don`t mind the swirls, I`ll be buffing them out very shortly.

It`s very bad...

Post Thanks / Like
    If you want to keep the car (and when I see that rust, well, I`d give it some real thought) or if you can`t afford to replace it, then have a pro weld in some new metal.

You could slow it down with POR-15, RustBullet, or the stuff from Eastwood (which I`ve had decent results with), but it`ll be a temporary fix at best. This calls for a skilled pro and even then I dunno....

Post Thanks / Like
    that has to be cut out. i have a 92 accord doing the same thing. i had dealer repair it and it came back 2x. it needs to be completely cut out and the dealer wont do it. if u take off your bumper its even worse under there. this rust is a very common problem on many honda models and yrs..

Thread Information