Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, this is my first exterior detail. PLEASE critique what I`m about to do 1st thing in the morning! Here`s my plan:

1) Rinse thoroughly with garden hose (car is very dirty). Clean windows & wipers with Invisible Glass and Paper Towels.

2) Wash with Duragloss 901 (car wash) in a bucket and Meguiars Chenille Wash Mitt. Then allow air dry. (I don`t have a drying towel --oops! Should I use a microfiber or just allow air dry? Paper towel bad right?)

3) ******* do I need dishwashing liquid here to remove any old wax?

4) Clay the whole car using Autozone Clay Magic Lube Kit

5) Wipe DG671 (swirl mark remover) onto the car with microfiber. Wait til hazes. Mist with 50/50 water/alcohol mix and wipe off w/a dry microfiber.

6) Apply DG601 (bonding agent) with a microfiber. Wait 15 minutes ***???***

7) Apply DG105 (polish/wax/sealant) with foam sponge. Wait 15 minutes ***???***

8) Repeat 6 and 7 for another layer or two.

9) Apply DG951 (AquaWax)

Forgetting about wheels for now.

How does this plan look? Please share any thoughts or tips now, as I plan on doing this 6am tommorow morning.

Post Thanks / Like
    i`m new but using an MF towel to clean the glass works well for me and you`re going to want something to dry to avoid water spots so either MF towels or the california water blade

hope this helps

Post Thanks / Like
    1) Get a microfiber glass towel for your windows, you`re just smearing around dirt otherwise. So go back to autozone and get one, the viking brand is good

2) If you air dry you`ll get water spots, so while you`re at autozone picking up that glass microfiber, pick up a waffle weave.

3/4) Claying will remove the old wax more than dish washing soap

5) leave out the alcohol/water mix in this step, it`s superfluous. apply the SMR, then whipe it off.

8) you only need the polish bonding agent before your first coat of 105, after that it`s unneccecary.

Post Thanks / Like
    In my routine windows are the very last thing.

1) move to bottom

2)wash with sheepskin mit, 2 buckets, click the link in my sig for the autopia guide.

3) no, i have a thread here http://autopia.org/forum/showthread.php?t=74820 that shows what Dish soap does.

4) Yes, get up close, if you have never done it take your time. It can be as much as 2-3 hours.

5)you need to work the product in, and down here is a link to what this looks like. IPA mix is good idea http://paintcare-n-detailing.com/ssr.html

6)7)8)Here i am fuzzy on the duragloss line, others will have to help
    my trailer part 1

my trailer part 2

3 Layers Of GlossAuto Detail

~Aaron

Post Thanks / Like
    It`s awfully difficult for anyone to critique your plan when you provide no information about the car (other than it`s dirty). Make? Age? Color? Paint condition, i.e., is it oxidized, marred, swirled, scratched, repainted, water-spotted, etc., etc.? But . . .

Not sure why you would clean windows first--that`s usually near the end or dead last; otherwise you`ll end up cleaning them twice. You might want to wash using two buckets, one for soap and one to rinse the wash mitt.

Absolutely, positively dry the car, forget you even thought about paper towels for drying, and find a nice, soft cotton bath towel, or use your microfiber towels if you have enough.

I don`t have enough experience with the DuraGloss products (except AquaWax) to comment on them, but without detailed information about the car, commenting would be purposeless anyway.
    Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. --Calvin Coolidge

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the replies everyone!! Here is some more information:

car is a 2003 Toyota MR2 Spyder convertible, 11k miles, always garaged - white with black vinyl top. (pretty much skipping the top for now, just washing it - I do have duragloss leather & vinyl dressing I am thinking about using though. is this comparable to griot`s rubber/vinyl dressing?)

paint is in great condition, definitely not oxidized at all; maybe a few light swirl marks, no real scratches. currently the car has a week of dirt with a some contaminants (bird crap) and lots of brown water spots (rained today, car was parked under a tree).

I will move the glass to last as recommended, forget about the paper towels, and leave out the alcohol/water mix.

I will also try and find a bath towel to use for drying -- really want to do this at 6am and nothing will be open to purchase a waffle weave. if anyone thinks this is a bad idea, please let me know.

I have 8 small-medium sized microfibers. Hoping that`s enough to do the car + glass, if I use a bath towel to dry the car.

I`m confused about the dishwash soap - seems like mixed thoughts, would love some more opinions especially now that I gave some more info on the car. Also confused about the wait times for the duragloss - 15 minutes enough between layers of 105? or is it more like 3 hours or 24 hours? Anyone more opinions on using 601 (bonding agent) between layers - I don`t mind wasting product if it may last a little longer?

Please share your thoughts, I appreciate all the feedback I can get as I need to do this right the first time. (starting law school - won`t have much time later & need a great seal on the paint)

Post Thanks / Like
    bath towel = very bad idea. They have materials in the weave that will scratch the clear up. Bath towel = good for drying you bad for drying car. Id use a bath towel on the glass WAAAAAAAAAY before id use it on the paint. Congrats on law school, I am about to start it myself.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Glowin97x
    bath towel = very bad idea. They have materials in the weave that will scratch the clear up. Bath towel = good for drying you bad for drying car. Id use a bath towel on the glass WAAAAAAAAAY before id use it on the paint. Congrats on law school, I am about to start it myself.

Anything else I can use in a pinch? I really want to do this tommorow morning, and nothign will be open...

BTW, I noticed you`re in SD. I`m actually starting at USD this fall. Can`t wait! Getting nervous with the summer almost over, though. It`s going to be a lot of hard work, for a long time, but definitely worth it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DOMN8R
    Anything else I can use in a pinch? I really want to do this tommorow morning, and nothign will be open...

BTW, I noticed you`re in SD. I`m actually starting at USD this fall. Can`t wait! Getting nervous with the summer almost over, though. It`s going to be a lot of hard work, for a long time, but definitely worth it.

This may be your last free time until summer break. Then its off as an associate - again little free time. In about 6+ years you`ll have plenty of time for detailing and then you can start getting up at 3-4 a.m. everyday to read all the detailing posts. Oh ... did I mention how much I love being a lawyer ... guess not. Good luck

Post Thanks / Like
    Use your mf towels you can dry the car with 1 you just have to wring it out.
    my trailer part 1

my trailer part 2

3 Layers Of GlossAuto Detail

~Aaron

Post Thanks / Like

I was THIS close to going to USD. Pepperdine offered me a better deal so thats where I am headed. I just turned USD down about 3 days ago. I know a few people who go there now, its great. I used to live across the street, it is a beautiful campus. Good luck it should be a lot of fun. :secret

As far as stuff to use in a pinch? I dont know anything you would have around the house. If you can wait until Target opens the Vroom drying towel they have there is very nice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Glowin97x
    I was THIS close to going to USD. Pepperdine offered me a better deal so thats where I am headed. I just turned USD down about 3 days ago. I know a few people who go there now, its great. I used to live across the street, it is a beautiful campus. Good luck it should be a lot of fun. :secret

Congrats! They are both excellent schools. I considered Pepperdine as well, and I was totally impressed with the law students I met there. Really great people and environment (and the campus is absolutely gorgeous too, of course). Very tough decisions, but it`s one of those decisions that one is fortunate to have to make - either way you can`t go wrong! Good luck with everything.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks again everyone who replied here with tips. To see the results of this detail, check out http://autopia.org/forum/showthread.php?t=75060

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, this is my first exterior detail. PLEASE critique what I`m about to do 1st thing in the morning! Here`s my plan:

1) Rinse thoroughly with garden hose (car is very dirty). Clean windows & wipers with Invisible Glass and Paper Towels.

2) Wash with Duragloss 901 (car wash) in a bucket and Meguiars Chenille Wash Mitt. Then allow air dry. (I don`t have a drying towel --oops! Should I use a microfiber or just allow air dry? Paper towel bad right?)

3) ******* do I need dishwashing liquid here to remove any old wax?

4) Clay the whole car using Autozone Clay Magic Lube Kit

5) Wipe DG671 (swirl mark remover) onto the car with microfiber. Wait til hazes. Mist with 50/50 water/alcohol mix and wipe off w/a dry microfiber.

6) Apply DG601 (bonding agent) with a microfiber. Wait 15 minutes ***???***

7) Apply DG105 (polish/wax/sealant) with foam sponge. Wait 15 minutes ***???***

8) Repeat 6 and 7 for another layer or two.

9) Apply DG951 (AquaWax)

Forgetting about wheels for now.

How does this plan look? Please share any thoughts or tips now, as I plan on doing this 6am tommorow morning.

Why are you using the bonding agent after you applied the 105...I think you only need to use it once.

Thread Information