Thread: Ahhh, RUST

Post Thanks / Like
    No, it isn`t on the exterior paint, but it still scares me. I opened my trunk to see some minor rust spots right around the metal part below the rubber seal along my trunk down by the trunk latch and have no idea what to do to fix it. Should I take the seal off, sand out the rust and apply some touch up paint? (It`s not a painted surface, but would that still be a good idea? Or perhaps buy some spray clearcoat, mask off and give it a quick shot??

One more quick question, what out there is a good TIRE CLEANER that wont hurt the wheels? I currently use EO All Wheel and Tire Cleaner but I want some kinda cleaner that`ll really strip the tire completely clean of grime/brake dust/old dressings etc... EO does a good job but I hate running my finger on the tire after using it and scrubbing and still having black grime appear on my hand. Any suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like
    I`d treat the rust with a rust converter and then use Eastwood`s Rust Encapsulator for a primer. Removing the strip might be a good idea unless you can get to all the rusted metal without doing that. I`d just get everything (converter, etc.) from EASTWOOD

I clean my tires with Griot`s Rubber Cleaner but it`s awfully mild.

Perfectionist in Rehab Prometheus's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would personally take off the seal, then sand or sandblast would be even better if you have it available. A paint guy I know recommended a zinc self-etching primer that supposedly works great on bare metal like this after the rust is gone. If this seems too work intensive, I would go with Accumulator`s suggestion of the Rust Convertor and encapsulator.

Thread Information