Post Thanks / Like
    I got my Meguiars pads and SSR 2.5 in so I decided to take another shot at swirl removal today. Dawn wash to strip all the old junk off, then dried with Meguiars Water Magnets, now here is what happened.

The SSR 2.5 and Meguiars Yellow polishing pad werent aggressive enough to bust the swirls/scratches out completely. I threw on the Meguiars Burgundy cutting pad and the swirls came out no problem, beautiful. What I did notice was some micro-marring in the paint. So I tried some SSR 2.5 on the Yellow polishing pad, got rid of a few of them but not all. There still there just tiny little scratches in the shapes of swirls, not noticable unless you have the halogen light under them. Then I tried Optimum Polish with a LC white polishing pad, and the yellow polishing pad and still no luck in getting them out. There may have been some user error in me not letting the polish break down long enough to get the micro-marring out, does anyone have any ideas? Also, am I cutting down A LOT of the clear using the SSR 2.5 and Burgundy cutting pad?

Is this the right amount of 2.5 im supposed to use?

Befores

After

You can see no more swirls, but there is still swirling micro-marring which is causing a hazyness. What should I do?

Also does this look broken down to everyone?

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe try the SSr 1.0 on a polishing pad.

Post Thanks / Like
    Woot sexy guy. <rolls eye`s> I never understood guys who insist on washing cars with their shirts off.

I never tackle that large of a work area, Usually my doors are 3 areas. If that was your first load on the pad yeah i might put that much after that I would probably use a 1/3rd of that.

I probably would have went

2.5 on burgandy,

2.5 on yellow,

ssr 1 On at least yellow which should be my green pad (or equivelent, i am not familliar with OP)

Then final polish with a non abrasive polish. PB PP ect.

as for it being broken down. Is that 2.5 in the pic? If so that is about where i stop, After that it dries out on the very next pass for me.

All jokes aside, i am following your saga closely as we use similar products and have similar cars.
    my trailer part 1

my trailer part 2

3 Layers Of GlossAuto Detail

~Aaron

Post Thanks / Like
    Grouse, your an ok guy lol. I actually took my shirt off right before that picture because it began to rain out and my garage was like 100 degrees lol, then it stopped raining and I pulled outside.

As you can see though, my swirls/scratches have been busted, finally. Its just that damn micro-marring that is SO annoying. There like tiny tiny tiny little scratches that mimic a swirl pattern. You can only really tell when your up close, or looking for them, but I know that they are there and thats all that matters. It surprised me that I didnt really get any hazing using the Burgundy cutting pad, which is an awesome pad. I also believe that OP has equivalent cutting power as SSR1.

As I finished the door, my Halogen light blew out on me. I went to my store and returned it but my car is covered in dirt from the drive back. Im going to spend tomorrow rewashing it and finish polishing and HOPEFULLY get rid of the micro-marring with the help of some folks on here.

Post Thanks / Like
    When scottwax,picus,g35stylez,accumulator, spoiledman find the thread your probably going to get more valueable information than what i gave.
    my trailer part 1

my trailer part 2

3 Layers Of GlossAuto Detail

~Aaron

Post Thanks / Like
    bump, anyone?

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe I missed it, but I think you need to followup and use a finishing polish like 1.0 or Menz FP with a orange pad or ligter, that`ll remove lots of that micromarring and all of the hazing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, a finer polish is what you need. They`re typically referred to as "finishing" polishes. What do you have other than SSR 2.5?
    Triple Honda Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    If I was to guess I would say you are using to much product at one time and you are not letting it competly break down.
    -Dennis

My Cars

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DennisH
    If I was to guess I would say you are using to much product at one time and you are not letting it competly break down.

agreed. I also could be moving too fast. How many passes do you do? Do you spray some detaining fluid on the pad before you start using it the first time?

split up the area you are working on as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    The only polishes I have are SSR 2.5, and Optimum Polish.

Im giving it another shot today, maybe I need to order some SSR 1, but I thought OP and SSR1 are almost the same?

Post Thanks / Like
    Go over the same area with OP and a polishing/light polishing pad. It may take a couple passes but it should also take care of your problem.
    Triple Honda Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    I second Spoiled Man`s advice. The nice thing about Optimum is that it works (to a certain level) based on the pad you are using. Use it with a white polish pad and then again with a grey pad if there`s still small amounts left. You should be able to achieve perfection this way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Opt and a white pad will almost certainly do it unless it`s crazy soft paint. I had the same problem recently on a very, very soft BMW and OP on a white took it out almost entirely. I went over it again with OP on a grey to finish it down smooth.
    Click here to see what I`ve been working on, or here to see my YouTube page!

Thread Information