Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    assuming the meguiars water magnet ww mf drying towel isn`t a horrible towel, i`ve used this towel a few times now for drying and i find it quite ineffective at thoroughly drying my compact car.

although i never use the free flowing water drying method before towel drying, i experience alot of streaks and find this particular towel hard to wring out.

i have actually found it much quicker and easier to use 2 quality 16x16 non-WW towels for drying.

basically i dont understand what the WW drying hype is all about because although the WW towels are bigger, they seem thinner and seem to hold less water than regular plush MF towels and are much harder to wring out.

your thoughts please?

Post Thanks / Like
    I believe that there are different types of WW towels. Towels that cost more are more plush, more absorbent, and in general, higher-quality. I`m curious as to why you don`t use the free flowing water method? By doing so, you will be able to get a lot of the water off the surface of the car before you use a WW or a MF towel. Of course, this is assuming that your car is well waxed.

As for drying towels, I use "The Absorber", which is a synthetic chamois that drys very well, and absorbs lots of water, like its name. The only downside of the Absorber is that it is possible to drag particles around the surface, therefore causing marring and swirls. As per many other members` suggestions, I now put the Absorber on the surface, and let the Absorber "absorb" the water, instead of dragging it across the surface.

Hope that helps, and welcome to autopia!

Post Thanks / Like
    Um, I agree. I bought the water magnet and also bought into the WWMF towel hype. Well, that towel sucks. I have relegated it to door jamb duty now. I think the big blue MF towel from Wal-Mart does a far superior job of drying than the Meguiar`s product. I have also recently pulled my Absorber out of retirement.
    "I can`t believe that we would lie in our graves wondering if we had spent our living days well." - Dave Matthews

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks guys

actually i dont use the freeflowing method because i`d have to run to the side of my house, turn off the water, come back to front, undo the nozzle, go back turn the water on, etc...

otherwise i get water all over me... actually i just realized: maybe i should bend the hose and then undo to minimize the splash when taking the nozzle off? or i should just get a new type of nozzle that has the free flow function (any suggestions?)

i`m sure things will be much better using my WW if i used the freeflow technique...

and yeah, i think i will bring my absorber out again until i buy a better ww towel.

Post Thanks / Like
    Uh, why don`t you just kink the hose, remove the nozzle, flow water over the car, re-kink hose, and then reattach nozzle. Works exactly the same as running around the yard. Flowing water over the car is well worth it. It will minimize what you have to take off the car.
    "I can`t believe that we would lie in our graves wondering if we had spent our living days well." - Dave Matthews

Post Thanks / Like
    Try looking for different types of connectors for the hose. You can get auto shut-off types, that shuts off when you disconnect the nozzle. There are also connector types where you turn a valve, before taking off the nozzle. You can make your own free-flowing nozzle with a short piece of hose fitted to a connector. So when you take of your standard sprayer nozzle, you can just attach this for the rinse. Hope that makes sense, as I don`t really know what the proper US names is for those water gizmos

Btw, have read that the water magnet towel should be washed prior to use (just don`t use fabric softener ). My own experience is that the water magnet doesn`t work to well when wet, so it`s a good idea too use the free flowing rinse to help ensure that the towel doesn`t get soaked to quickly. And if the towel does get wet, I just get another, instead of trying to wring it out. Used like that it works quite well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, at Home Depot or Lowes, there are those water hose splitters that split the incoming hose into two hose openings. I haven`t done this myself, but I guess you could shut off both openings when you don`t need the water, and open one of the openings when you need the free flowing water. Or you could spend some money on a multi-feature nozzle, which I don`t have. Otherwise, you could just try kinking the hose like everyone else is suggesting.

BTW, I know what you mean when you say it`s a PITA to go back to the water control valve and get water all over yourself I`ve been doing this until just now, when just I remembered that I have the water splitter thing that I could use.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tasty
    Uh, why don`t you just kink the hose, remove the nozzle, flow water over the car, re-kink hose, and then reattach nozzle. Works exactly the same as running around the yard. Flowing water over the car is well worth it. It will minimize what you have to take off the car.

You would be amazed at how many people would never think of that...

I just realized it a few days ago!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by StumpyDetailing
    You would be amazed at how many people would never think of that...

I just realized it a few days ago!

Hehe, same here!

Post Thanks / Like
    Don`t worry, it took me a couple washes to figure it out too. Doh!

Post Thanks / Like
    meh i have quick disconects on my hose, so after i crimp it to remove the nozzle i still have no water.

I don`t like using two hoses, so i have went to s superfine mist nozzle that creates excelent sheeting action.
    my trailer part 1

my trailer part 2

3 Layers Of GlossAuto Detail

~Aaron

Post Thanks / Like
    how are other ww towels as far as wringing? are they easier to wring? I`m guessing if i got the pakshak supersoft ww drying towels, since they`re soft, they would wring much easier than my water magnet.

and what size do most of you guys get? the 16x27 WWs? or the largest 20x40 ones?

would it be easier to use two 16x27s than one 20x40?

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the Poorboys large 20x40 waffle weave towels . I love them. If i do not sheet rinse yeah it`s hard to wring them out. If i sheet rinse and blow off with my vacuum i can dry both my tahoe and a4. Normally i am to lazy to blow off so i get 1 car per towel.
    my trailer part 1

my trailer part 2

3 Layers Of GlossAuto Detail

~Aaron

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like
    the WW`s in the housewares section at WalMart are quite soft- just check the edges for any hard strings.

Post Thanks / Like
    this sucks i just bought a Water Magnet yesterday, but i havent used it yet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information