Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Was at a 4th of July party and someone asked me how I`m liking my car (a used 997 I got last September). I say it`s great and I wash it once a week and wax it (by hand) every 3 or 4 weeks. This person (her dad owns a body shop or somehting) looks horrified and says that I am going to wax the clear coat right off and that at most i should wax every six months and that maybe I should try a glaze instead. I know that this must be total crap. Maybe she didn`t realize that I`m talking about waxing by hand????

Post Thanks / Like
    umm, waxing doesn`t remove any clear.

they`re just stupid.

It`s AMAZING how some body shop people actually know NOTHING beyond how to put new body panels on and paint them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by autobahn
    umm, waxing doesn`t remove any clear.

they`re just stupid.

It`s AMAZING how some body shop people actually know NOTHING beyond how to put new body panels on and paint them.
    Yeppers. I have actually detailed the cars of a local body shop owner because they admit to not knowing how to properly detail. Ask them about fillers and glaze and they can help though. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    "Derf", your fine....Would I stear you wrong? Nice work, keep it up..........What are you useing monthly for your wax?
    Owner of West Coast Detail Supply.

Light travels faster then sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by a.k.a. Patrick
    "Derf", your fine....Would I stear you wrong? Nice work, keep it up..........What are you useing monthly for your wax?

I know you wouldn`t, but you know how I worry! :nervous2: I`m using Natty`s Blue right now. Loving it. Looks great, very wet and slightly darker in certain light. Used S100 on husband`s Lexus last weekend and friend`s Mom asked if he got a new car!

Post Thanks / Like
    This thread wouldn`t be complete without at least one little picture of the 997, now would it

Post Thanks / Like
    no sir it would not.

I say VTB untill he posts a pic
    my trailer part 1

my trailer part 2

3 Layers Of GlossAuto Detail

~Aaron

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Derf
    I know you wouldn`t, but you know how I worry! :nervous2: Used S100 on husband`s Lexus last weekend and friend`s Mom asked if he got a new car!
    Guess I wont be seeing you anymore !! :bounce
    Owner of West Coast Detail Supply.

Light travels faster then sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by a.k.a. Patrick
    Guess I wont be seeing you anymore !! :bounce

No, you`ll still be seeing me. You know I like to get the professional treatment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Was at a 4th of July party and someone asked me how I`m liking my car (a used 997 I got last September). I say it`s great and I wash it once a week and wax it (by hand) every 3 or 4 weeks. This person (her dad owns a body shop or somehting) looks horrified and says that I am going to wax the clear coat right off and that at most i should wax every six months and that maybe I should try a glaze instead. I know that this must be total crap. Maybe she didn`t realize that I`m talking about waxing by hand????

The person you talked to has no clue. Take a good look at the cars driven by people with this misconception. 99% of them look like crap!

FYI, I work with a brother firefighter who owns an auto body shop.. guess who he trusts to detail his vehicles (a 2001 BMW 540i, a 2005 and 1972 Corvette and his 1996 F-250 pickup truck) for him?

Post Thanks / Like
    This body shop gentleman is still under the impression that all waxes contain abrasives that polish and protect in one-step. These one-steps were great prior to clearcoated finishes and I used many (i.e Hard Shell Turtle Wax, Blue Coral, Kit, etc.) back-in-the-day (60`s-70`s). Even today many popular OTC products use this polish/protect formulation (i.e NXT) but the abrasives they employ are CC safe.

So he is somewhat correct about thinning the CC if you are using one of these older formulated 1-steps waxes . You are not so you are okay using a paste product like Natty`s, Meg#26 P21S, S100, NXT etc.

That'll buff right out! jimmybuffit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I`m currently wetsanding the (personal) black 3 series BMW of a "tuner oriented" Body Shop.

They are quite proficient in many areas... we`ve done a black Ferrari rebuild, for example.

I agree with others, the owners just don`t see (or get) the finer points of paint finishing.

That`s ok, we need to make a living...

Jim
    "If it was easy, everybody`d be doing it."
    www.jimmybuffit.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I am going to wax the clear coat right off and that at most i should wax every six months and that maybe I should try a glaze instead. I know that this must be total crap. Maybe she didn`t realize that I`m talking about waxing by hand????

Hear comments like that quite often.....just smile and keep the ipod tunes going. A neighbor down the block just asked when I got the new Truck....smiled and said back in 2002, waived and drove on.

Post Thanks / Like
    lol well put jimmy,

derf it wouldnt matter if you applied by hand or machine the only debate you would find in here is the question weather or not you are actually layering these coats. keep the waxing up and dont correct your body shop friend as most of them are completely brainwashed and like jimmy said, we need the work.

Post Thanks / Like
    My body shop once asked what wax I was using, then suggested that I not ever wax a vehicle because it would create water spots.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information