Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swirl marks

Post Thanks / Like
    My car looks fantasic in the shade but in the sunlight it is swirled badly I have used pinicle swirl removing polish with a buffer but it only improved slightly. Im sick of em and want them gone once and for all. I dont care how much time I have to spend removing em. :waxing:

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Other than the swirls the paint is in exelent condition it is a 1993 Nissan Skyline R33 GTS25-T dark pearl red in colour.

thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Prob gonna have to step it up to a more aggressive polish and pad combo. Pictures would help. For starters though something basic like an orange pad and Menzerna IP or equivalent should do. If that doesn`t work you can take it more aggressive from there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Deviant
    Prob gonna have to step it up to a more aggressive polish and pad combo. Pictures would help. For starters though something basic like an orange pad and Menzerna IP or equivalent should do. If that doesn`t work you can take it more aggressive from there.
    thanks for your reply. where can I get these product from mate sorry I am new to this

cheers

Post Thanks / Like
    Also, what kind of buffer are you using? Most of the consumer-level buffers on the market just don`t have the oomph it takes to do any paint correction. The PC is well worth the investment, a pretty good bargin actually for what you get. Some scratches and swirls can only be tackled with a rotary.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just had a another go on a small section of the car using the buffer and polish pictured. I did it 5 times and improvement was minimal. I worked the polish in hard with the orbital buffer bellow but I dont think it is powerful enough. I took a picture under a fluro with the camera flash on so you can see the swirls.

Is the swirl remover product im using any good?

If not what should I use?

Will I have to buy a PC?

what pad will I need to buy with the PC? or will the standard pad do?

thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like the pad on the buffer you are using doesn`t make full contact with the surface. A PC and regular-style (full contact) pad would probably help matters. Also, a more aggressive polish is probably needed as mentioned before, maybe Poorboy`s SSR2 with a mild pad as the next step, and if that isn`t enough, try a more aggressive pad with the SSR2.

Alex

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Deviant

Do you think an orange pad with FK #17 will work as well? I have some #17 and was wondering if I can use that instead of buying a new bottle of Menzerna IP.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    I live in Australia so unfortunately I cant get a pc without a converter. I do have a orbital sander, a powerful dewault one that is rated at 12,000 opm I put the polishing pad pictured above on that and the polished disapeared into the paint much quicker although it does not alow you to apply a great deal of pressure it must have a inbuilt clutch or something and the swirl marks are still there. Do you think a more aggressive pad and polish with the orbital sander will do the trick.

cheers

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by munna
    I live in Australia so unfortunately I cant get a pc without a converter. I do have a orbital sander, a powerful dewault one that is rated at 12,000 opm I put the polishing pad pictured above on that and the polished disapeared into the paint much quicker although it does not alow you to apply a great deal of pressure it must have a inbuilt clutch or something and the swirl marks are still there. Do you think a more aggressive pad and polish with the orbital sander will do the trick.

cheers

This is the orbital I have will it be powerful enough?

http://www.toolbarn.com/product/dewalt/DW421/

I have heard that people recomend this one as it is meant to be close to the PC

http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/to...?productID=125

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, you don`t want to go to powerful or you`ll burn through your clear. Though I`m not to familiar w/ the orbital sander used as a polisher...

Post Thanks / Like
    First thing I would do is try that same Pinnacle product with a different pad. It looks like that pad is a glazing/finishing pad, so you will need something more aggresive for sure. I would step up to at least an orange pad and if that doesn`t cut it, you will need something more aggresive(pad/product). Let us know how it works, we will steer you in the right direction
    "The Carfather"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by strauss
    First thing I would do is try that same Pinnacle product with a different pad. It looks like that pad is a glazing/finishing pad, so you will need something more aggresive for sure. I would step up to at least an orange pad and if that doesn`t cut it, you will need something more aggresive(pad/product). Let us know how it works, we will steer you in the right direction

You will also need to follow up the ASR with a less agressive SR, and maybe even the ultra fine too.

I use the Pinnacle SR`s a lot and find them very good. Its just the pad and maybe some technique improvements to get the job done :2thumbs:

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for that I will start with a more agressive pad and go from there

cheers

Post Thanks / Like
    the only pad I could find in the town I live in was a autoglym B160T its blue in color. I used the orbital pictured slighty better than the other pad but I think I may need a harsher one. does anyone know anything about the autoglym pad?

cheers

Post Thanks / Like
    Munna,

I too live in Australia and you dont need a PC too get the same results. Go to Bunning or something and look for the Bosch PEX400AE random orbital. There is also a great Hitachi one around. You can buy the pads from here or there are plenty of good detailing suppliers doing all the stuff we do at Autopia online as well.

Yes like everyone else has said, when you cant get the results you want on reasonable paint then go to a more agressive polish and then the smae polish with a more agressive pad.

Best Regards,

Myles
    One of the Original Autopians !!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information