Post Thanks / Like
    I am trying to get into the business but I would like some on the job training. I have guides and books and videos but no on job training. I am looking to see if there is anybody in NJ that can help me PLEASE!! Im looking to see if there is anybody in NJ that is willing to help me out and show me the ropes. I have some basic knowledge from the books and guides that I have read but I still have some problems. I have a difficult time especially with the cleaning of the carpets. I live in Bergen County but I am willing to travel to learn. I am willing to pay for the help if need be. PLEASE HELP!

Post Thanks / Like
    Start at a chevy/ford/dodge dealership. Work there for a few months. Then go to an import dealer for a month or two. Then move up to a higher-end dealership, and finally to a private detail shop that takes client work.

I don`t know how many guys who come to work for me that I get that:1.) think they either know everything (but don`t), 2.)don`t know what they are getting into, or who 3.)just don`t want to put in the time needed to really learn "the business".

If my plan of action sounds like a lot of time, you are right. And that is just the beginning. It takes a long time to gain true experience. You gotta put in some time, you gotta pay some dues if you want to start your own business, which is what I assume you want to do.

And guess what? If you try my plan, you are likely going to run into guys who are not willing to teach you! With detailers, time is money. It will be tough to find anyone willing to show you (in their eyes, waste their time) the ropes.

My advice is to go to the smaller dealerships, where you will not be one of 15 guys who do nothing but wash cars all day and eat **** from douchebag salesmen and managers. You can learn, have some down time, and learn the finer points of detailing, as well as the people skill part of the business.

Your goal at this point is to get a base/foundation of knowledge/experience under your belt, then run a small shop where you get to perfect your craft.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey thanks for the advice. The only problem is that right now I have my own trucking company that I run M-F. I am trying to learn the detailing profession on the weekends little by little so that in time I can start a detailing business as well. I know what it takes to start a business and that is time and patience and hard work. I am willing to do all the above but at a slower pace at first. Although your information is probably right on the money, I think I am looking for somebody that has there own shop or car wash that is willing to be flexible with the times. Also, as I stated before, I am willing to pay for the help if need be. So some may look at it as a waste of time but others can look at it as a way to make some extra cash while they are already making cash on the detail they are doing to teach me.

Thank you again for that advice and I will look into that method as time moves forward and allows me.

Post Thanks / Like
    You may want to give Frank aka mirrorfinishman a try. He`s very helpful on the boards and he`s located in South Jersey.

http://mysite.verizon.net/canna/

Post Thanks / Like
    I would suggest you contact Kevin Farrell at Kleen Car Auto Appearance. 888-302-6400 He has a great two day training program. He also has a web site with some information. He is located in Bergen County.

I took the class a while back and found it to be very informative.

it was my first time...
    Post Thanks / Like
    Where in Jersey are you located?

There aren`t too many places to train you that I know of other then the ones listed above. My best advice would be read up on the forums and links, and just try it on yours or other people you know cars. It`s not that difficult, and I`m sure a lot of people on here started off like that. As long as your not taking a rotary to someone`s new car; you should be fine for the most part. Just use common sense, and get ready to spend a lot of money on products, tools, supplies, etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the good advice guys. Ireally do appreciate it. I actually just came across Kleen Car Auto Appearance last night after I posted this thread. I sent him an e-mail but no response just yet. I am located in Ridgefield Park. I have already spent a good amount of money on equipment and product from reading a bunch of foru,s and talking to different people. I`ve been interested in this line of work for about 1 1/2 years and have been researching all along. I have my PC already and my wet vac and I even purchased a steam cleaner to try to help with the carpets. That one item was a waste. I have a lot of different products as well. I bought detailing guides and video and books but I just don`t think that they would do as much justice as hands on training. I just need the proper training.

Thread Information