Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    a car after washing. I thought I might skip the clay and move right to compounding / polishing. I clayed the roof panel on a 1998 Gran Prix after washing and came up with this. I went ahead and clayed the whole car.

Thoughts...?

Click for the bigger pic

Post Thanks / Like
    did you kneed the clay once in a while to keep the surface clean?

by using the same side of the clay on the car, you risk marring and swirls etc...

other than that... that is one dirty clay bar haha

Post Thanks / Like
    That`s about normal for a car that hasn`t been clayed in a number of years (or ever).

Post Thanks / Like
    hoanger - I did remember to kneed the claybar often. This is the worst one I`ve seen. (Not that I`ve seen too many)

Setec Astronomy - Odd thing is, I clayed this car about a year or just a little longer.

P.S. - I tossed this one after use. I did not feel it was worth putting it back into service as I felt I was getting some specks of stuff off the car.

Post Thanks / Like
    well, if you feel you had a job well done

then congratz, I guess this shows us how dirty a car that hasnt been clayed in a year can get

i should do it soon lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hoanger
    well, if you feel you had a job well done

then congratz, I guess this shows us how dirty a car that hasnt been clayed in a year can get

i should do it soon lol

:LOLOL

I`m pretty sure I did Okay the first time around.

Its probably the later.

Tnx.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wouldn`t a pre-wax cleaner have removed almost all of that dirt, without necessarily having to use a clay bar?

Greg.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg2
    Wouldn`t a pre-wax cleaner have removed almost all of that dirt, without necessarily having to use a clay bar?

Greg.

It may remove most of it, but I highly doubt it would remove ALL of it...

Claybarring is the answer for glass-smooth paint that hasn`t been upkept!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by StumpyDetailing
    It may remove most of it, but I highly doubt it would remove ALL of it...

Claybarring is the answer for glass-smooth paint that hasn`t been upkept!

Ok. Perhaps it would be more cost effective to first use a pre-wax cleaner, to increase the life of the clay bar. (i.e, only use the clay bar for the stuff that the cleaner doesn`t catch) I guess what I`m saying is that the cloth can be reused, whereas the clay bar has to be discarded once it becomes too dirty.

Greg.

Post Thanks / Like
    The clay actually looked like it was still okay, just needed some kneeding. It is normal for clay bar to turn dark in color, after all it`s removing dirt that car wash/wax does not remove. Your main concern would be to inspect the clay for rocks or solid coarse objects, these are the things to be concerned with.
    :bump Take your time and do the job right the first time

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by autoprecise1
    The clay actually looked like it was still okay, just needed some kneeding. It is normal for clay bar to turn dark in color, after all it`s removing dirt that car wash/wax does not remove. Your main concern would be to inspect the clay for rocks or solid coarse objects, these are the things to be concerned with.

As you stated, I was concerned about "grit". I thought I could feel a few things in the clay is the only reason I tossed it out. Maybe it was premature on my part, but I felt it was better to be safe than sorry.

Next time I hit a car with clay and see that it is starting to get nasty fast, I`ll use a cleaner wax first, then the clay.

Thanks for the tips everyone. :xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg2
    ...Perhaps it would be more cost effective to first use a pre-wax cleaner, to increase the life of the clay bar. (i.e, only use the clay bar for the stuff that the cleaner doesn`t catch)...
    It might cost a little less but I think you get far better results by claying first. The cleaner will work more effectively and faster on fully exposed paint.

PC.

Post Thanks / Like
    is there a difference between the types of clay, like mild or fine grade like the ones on this site?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 862sik
    is there a difference between the types of clay, like mild or fine grade like the ones on this site?
    Well if there wasnt a difference, that would be rather misleading wouldnt you think? The more aggressive clay will either contain more abrasive material and/or larger bits of abrasives.

As with polishes one should consider what clay may be best suited, then step down one to avoid marring. But also keep in mind, using too fine a clay may inhibit additional pressure required to remove contaminants, that a more aggressive clay could have easily removed, with less pressure (less marring?).
    Owner of West Coast Detail Supply.

Light travels faster then sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by the other pc
    It might cost a little less but I think you get far better results by claying first. The cleaner will work more effectively and faster on fully exposed paint.

PC.

Ok. At the moment I`m only using a pre-wax cleaner, and yes, it is an extraordinary amount of work to remove the tar spots this way. I am rubbing off each little spot individually. It does work, but it`s very very slow.

Greg.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information