Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I just put brand new Brembo rotors and pads on my car last month and they`re already getting surface rust. I would have figured they would have come with atleast a rust proof coating, but apparently I was wrong...

Take a look at the pic below to see what im talking about.

The rotor itself doesnt` rust as it`s always being ground down by the pads, but what im not enjoying is the surface rust that has developed on the inner hub portion of them. Im interested if there is a way I can clean them off and seal them....I`ll just lightly sand the inner hub to get off the surface rust (as that`s all it is) but im looking for a more permanent way to stop this from being a problem. I just find it a bit of an eyesore :sosad ....Is there some sort of hi-temp clearcoat I could try?

Suggestions!!
    Pinnacle Detailing - 1991 Nissan Skyline GTS-T TypeM

Post Thanks / Like
    paint it...theres plenty of high heat brake paints around, mine have por15 on em

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by steveo3002
    paint it...theres plenty of high heat brake paints around, mine have por15 on em

I was hoping I could avoid painting them any colour, even black. I like the nice finished metal look of them and I was hoping to retain this look without painting them :/

Post Thanks / Like
    You could paint them silver or chrome or something similar to that. Maybe you could even us a clear paint.

Post Thanks / Like
    They make high-temperature clearcoat. Just sand down to an even surface and clear `em. It wont last forever, as its not a primed surface, but it should work well for a while, and you can just strip and repaint when it becomes a problem.
    Once you buff black, you never go back

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by themightytimmah
    They make high-temperature clearcoat. Just sand down to an even surface and clear `em. It wont last forever, as its not a primed surface, but it should work well for a while, and you can just strip and repaint when it becomes a problem.

Any idea of a specific brand?

Post Thanks / Like
    I painted mine black in order to not see the rust through my nice wheels:

Rotors were taken off the car, I used a wire brush attachment for my drill and got all the rust off. Then I CLRed the rotor to get any little stuff off. I taped off the rotor surface with painters tape. I then painted them with Duplicolor High Heat W/ Ceramic Black Paint. I gave them a good two coats (moderate thickness) and called it good. I wire brushed and sprayed my caliper brackets the same way.

The calipers were done with Duplicolor`s Caliper Paint Kit. I used the Brake Cleaner that came with the kit and then I took the caliper off the rotor. I left it connected to it`s line, but unlike some people I did take it off the rotor to make sure I could get the best paint coverage. I did NOT use the brush that came with the kit. That brush leaves bristles all over the place. Go to the art supply store and spend about $2 and get a good brush, it`s worth it. I put two coats on each caliper and it still looks great.

I also still have enough product to do at least one more car.

Good Luck,

GT6

Post Thanks / Like
    Autozone sells VHT brand disc, drum, and caliper paint. My brother just bought some black, but they did have different colors. Look for clear.

Post Thanks / Like
    Check out Easatwood Co. I just went with their detail gray for my OEM rotor hubs. I know they also have some great clear coats either hi-gloss or satin finish. Here`s thier Diamond Clear: http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?i...emType=PRODUCT

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by themightytimmah

I have a can of VHT high temp clear. It`s engine paint but it will do the trick. I`ve used it on several parts and worked out really well. Just make sure to use several coats so it will hold up

Post Thanks / Like
    You should have spent the extra money and get the ceramic coating....Mine still look like new after ten years

Post Thanks / Like
    In my experience, cheap paint will hold up just fine. My car gets driven hard, and the paint just stays.

For future reference, the autocross guys love the generic Napa rotors. Cheap and very reliable.

Post Thanks / Like
    brembo blanks are pretty good too, and not expensive as the name might imply.

the problem is cheaper rotors like the brembo blanks aren`t anti-rust coated.

just go with a hi-temp clearcoat. I personally wouldn`t paint my rotors as I autocross and drive spiritedly sometimes, and the brakes can get REALLY hot, and I don`t trust the "hi-temp" qualities of paints, but most people say the paint will hold up. and really, the rust doesn`t bother me too much, but then again my wheels don`t show much of the hub.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had the M3`s new rotors silver cadmium plated. We`ll see how it holds up...

Post Thanks / Like
    If you do hard track days, don`t paint them. Just another factor I`d throw in there. If not, then listen to these guys!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information