Thread: Body Shops Suck

Post Thanks / Like
    I really don`t know what their deal is, but it`s been a long time since I`ve seen a repair/repaint that wasn`t riddled with buffer swirls. In fact, my last 3 clients that have had work done have all received miserable jobs (finish-wise)...and all three were from different body shops. And I just saw Scottwax`s post of the black dodge with buffer halograms, which inspired this post.

Yesterday I went and saw a client that had work done by a body shop I had recommended (won`t do that again), and the buffer halograms were rampant. The worst thing is that it is a light green/blue 740 - easy. I laugh now because this shop had hired me to do a couple special vehicles (wet sand and buff two complete repaints (both black)) when I first moved here...both took me ALL DAY. I`m guessing the reason they haven`t had me do any more side work is because they feel I take too long. But I now know what kind of finish work leaves that shop otherwise :soscared:

Following day`s detail (yesterday)... same thing - a few pannels had buffer swirls all over, only this time she`d used a body shop I hadn`t head of before. And it was gold...maybe a difficult color to match, but easy as pie to finish swirl-free on.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just come to the fact that as long as the paint job is good I can take care of the swirls. I had a custom paint job done and it was hazed really bad but the actually prep and paint was freaking awesome. After some swirl remover it was fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Over 20 years of dealing with Body Shops I was always astounded how people would choose a shop because of new courtesy cars, questionable advertising or pressure from an insurer or outside firm. People seemed to forget that they would have to live with the results for a long time. It is your vehicle choose carefully.

Ask questions and look at the work that is coming out of the shop.

There are some shops that really care to do a good job. Buyer Beware!
    "If we weren`t all crazy..We`d all go insane" Jimmy Buffett

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Danase
    I just come to the fact that as long as the paint job is good I can take care of the swirls. I had a custom paint job done and it was hazed really bad but the actually prep and paint was freaking awesome. After some swirl remover it was fine.

Yes, that is the important thing. In 2 of the 3 aforementioned scenarios, the paint prep and work was good. In one case (black SL500) my client had to pay me $150 to fix their work - I swear they used the wool pad, that must have been caked with built up product, and called it good...cause the buffer swirls were roughly equivalent to 3000 grit paper marks. No exaggeration...and this place speciliazes in exotics and is "supposed" to be the best in town - not.

Thread Information