Post Thanks / Like
    I am the same, although I have found that after doing my neighbors, there are no more cars. I am currently writing a small business plan to be a basis for a good part time gig. Just wondering as far as marketing goes for those of you who are part-time, do you normally just give out business cards to those that are interested, or, eventhough you are part-time, you pass out flyers ect. I am not going to pass out flyers, as I would not want anyone touching my car but am curious as to a part-timers marketing plan. I would think word of mouth would be mostly it for the weekender, but if anyone has had sucess with a part-time plan please share. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve had a few successes just walking up to random people in parking lots, introducing myself and giving them my business card. Door to door in neighbourhoods and business parks also works. Hope this helps..

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fuzzydd
    I`ve had a few successes just walking up to random people in parking lots, introducing myself and giving them my business card. Door to door in neighbourhoods and business parks also works. Hope this helps..
    yea thet`s worked for me before. usually i`ll compliment them on their car and then ask them if they`ve ever had it detailed before. then i tell them how much better it could look.

Post Thanks / Like
    Arrrhh I wish I EVER thought of making money out of it. I did sooo many detail jobs for soo many friends, neighbors and relatives that if I took $10 each I could` ve ended up with my own garage !!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve been kinda wondering about this myself. I`d like to get into some weekend stuff to make some extra money for mods for my Mustang so any suggestions people have would be appreciated.
    www.stlmustangs.com <--- Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    There are two schools of thought on this. First - turning something you enjoy into some extra income is a terrific solution.

The other...well, I hate to sound like a pessimist, so I promise to keep this short. Doing something you enjoy for money can quickly sap all the enjoyment out of it if the wrong circumstances crop up. I do a number of cars for friends and family, but I never charge. The main reason is that I don`t want to become obligated. "Well you did it last time, why can`t you fit me in now," or, "It`s not beading like it was a week ago - you must`ve done something wrong." Yada yada.

I`m an IT guy by trade, and this is the exact reason I don`t work on computers or networks on the side. Likewise, my main passion is music. Back in my late teens and 20`s I took any gig I could because I needed the money. The reason music is still a passion for me...and I know this is a stretch, but I`m convinced it`s one reason I enjoy detailing so much...is that I now do it on my terms. I turn down jobs I don`t want, and can fully commit myself to and genuinely enjoy the ones I do accept.

Don`t get me wrong - I completely respect the folks that do this professionally, part-time or full-time. I just think of it as a pleasure, and you know what can be said of mixing that with business.

With respect to marketing, have you considered ads in local independent papers, or perhaps craigslist or some other online posting if there`s an offering in your area? Good luck!
    Cogito Ergo Idiot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VroomVroom
    I`m an IT guy by trade, and this is the exact reason I don`t work on computers or networks on the side.
    Me too, I understand where you are coming from completely!

I do this on weekends too but I just take them as they come without being real concerned about scheduling many.

Most of my clientele are co-workers and their families or others around the workplace. Just start to speak to people at your current job and you’d be amazed how quickly you can line them up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Get this, the local jail in my city has opened up it`s doors to detailing. Not sure why or how that came about but, they will detail a car for $10, and they do a good job, well for $10. I had a co-worker come to me about detailing, they all know I do it, and after telling him what I do and how much it costs, he told me if he had a NICE car he would certainley not trust the jail with it, but for his daily driver he could get it done in and out at 10 times at the jail for the price of my one time. Hey, they got nothing better to do right? The jail only does it for police, fire, and city hall employees, so that kind of rules out my co-woker base. That`s why I`m looking to do something different with the general public.

All in all, the jail does a pretty good job minus the swirls they put in, and the crap they wax over, but my buddy took his there last week, they spent 8 hrs on it, and you can`t beat that value for a daily driver that you don`t care about. Just venting I guess.

Post Thanks / Like
    For me it is all about who you know. If you have a good contact, it can lead to several other gold mines. I started out with only 1 or 2 customers and built off referrals from them. I have only gotten about 5 customers that I have gotten from putting business cards on cars, etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi what do you consider part time? I work a full time job ( I work off hours 4am to 12:30 ) and own a mobile detailing service that I consider part time yet I have work everyday, weather permitting and I am usually booked up 1 - 2 weeks in advance. I started out with flyers but eventually word of mouth will be your best source of advertising, if you do a good job at a good price most of your cust. will gladly refer you to others. I have been doing this for over 20 years and still have some of my original cust.. When you are doing a detail make sure you are as visible as you can be, I find that when I set up my canopy it always draws extra attention. A canopy would be one of the first things I would buy even if it is a cheap one for now, that and some sort of signage. Good Luck!!
    FRANK

FRANKIE K`S AUTO KLEEN

Thread Information