Post Thanks / Like
    Hey, I recentally bought a 1995 Rover 820 SLi (Dark Green) but...

A previous owner was over enthusiastic with the cutting compount and has removed the top coat in places to reveal what I think is the undercoat (dark gray) there are also white boarders which scratch off with my nail but when removed show the gray coat.

So we have; The Dark Green paint coat, some white paint or other substance that can be removed with a finger nail, and a dark gray coat in the center of the paint defects that may be undercoat or primer?

My question is this; what is the best way to deal with this? Should I just polish and wax and hope that it`s fine, or should I go to the local Rover dealer, give them the paint colour code (which I have) and ask for a spray can of it so I can paint over the defects??

I`ll post some photos of the defects in 24-48 hours, but can anyone help just on my discription, I want to get this fixed as soon as possible, as it`s the most noticable thing on inspection of the car.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    sounds like it needs a profesional repaint

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Faded_Mantis
    My question is this; what is the best way to deal with this?

Two things to do :

1- Repaint the car

2- Scrap the car and buy a new one

No product is gonna save that paint loss...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Murat
    1. repaint the car

Thats what I thought. I got a friend who has a better idea of painting to look at it, and only the top coat of paint is removed. After inspecting it, he put his estimate at $120-200NZ (Ă‚£40-70) if I do the acctual painting myself. Now I know this wont give me high quality results, but I don`t want a show car, and I know very little about polishing and waxing, I just want to conceal these marks so that they need a closer look to notice.

The effected areas probally cover 20-30% of the bonnet and about 30-40% of the roof, I have the paint code, and I don`t need it to look like a single paint job, just as long as it`s less obvious than it is now.

Post Thanks / Like
    :nervous: Uhhh

Well it is all up to you but re-painting a car is not a very easy DIY to tackle... You need to prime, gelcoat, sand, re-prime, check with gelcoat again, sand again and paint afterwards. A can of paint and an inscticide pulveriser will not do the trick for you.

If it is meant to be a car to avoid cops ticketing your for the unpainted areas then go for it.

But if you want an at least decent ride which does not embarass you amongst company, you will have to at least get a pro` s supervision...

Anyhow good luck... :xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    hmm ok, well I can`t be ticketed for having it unpainted, because the primer and undercoat are still on the exposed part of the car - most of it is still in good condition.

Well I`ll see about getting quotes for it, if it`s really to much for the price and age of the car (11 years) then I`ll look into doing it myself, making sure I get the right products and reading walk throughs to see if it`d be to hard for me to do.

P.S. If I was going to get the bonnet and roof redone would I need to have the whole section (ie whole bonnet, whole roof) sanded and painted or would a spot paint do? (knowing that the whole panel paint would look more uniform and professional, but costing more.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Faded_Mantis

P.S. If I was going to get the bonnet and roof redone would I need to have the whole section (ie whole bonnet, whole roof) sanded and painted or would a spot paint do? (knowing that the whole panel paint would look more uniform and professional, but costing more.)

Spot prep is OK but to avoid different shades of green you need to paint all over...

Post Thanks / Like
    hmm, there are some guys out there that are awsome at matching colour aging paint...but I don`t know any of them.

Thanks for your help.

Thread Information