Post Thanks / Like
    Ok newbie here...wondering if anyone has some input on this. I`m looking at a Yukon that has cloth seats. I would prefer leather but I really liked this vehicle, the price is right and it`s in great shape. The dealer told me they could do a "professional" scotchgard treatment on the seats and it would last up to 4 years. Is this true? And how effective is having the seats treated this way? Thanks for any input!

Post Thanks / Like
    You can get your own fabric protectant and apply it for a fraction of the price. The four year durability he mentioned is unrealistic.
    Brad Will- Owner

Reflections Auto Salon LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    That the dealer would "include the scotchgard protection" with the deal, so we wouldn`t have to pay extra.

Post Thanks / Like
    ya it might last 4 years if you let your car sit for 4 years...if theyre gonna do it for you, let them do it but its not gonna last for 4 years

Post Thanks / Like
    5 bucks a can at pepboys

Post Thanks / Like
    You can buy the 3M Scotchguard protection at camping supply stores as well as some automotive places.

4yrs. is nuts, I`d give it 1yr max.

The GM cloth seats in the trucks are tough, a lot tougher than the leather they use. I certainly wouldn`t let that stop me if the rest of the truck is pretty and mechanically sound.

Post Thanks / Like
    Car dealerships do not do things like that for free. Even if it is part of the deal (worked into the financing) it will still cost him way more than it should.
    Brad Will- Owner

Reflections Auto Salon LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    They sprayed my tundra with some treatment too, forgot what it was called. According to the dealer, I don`t have to polish/wax my truck for the first 5 years. If I notice any fading, water spots....and so on, I just take it to them and have them repaint it..sounded like a good deal at the time, but who knows... They did the interior as well, I guess I don`t have to wipe it down with armor all??? :think:

Post Thanks / Like
    Total upsell, they are just trying to re-coop any loss on the vehicle and/or trade-in value they are giving you.

If you see the vehicle you like, take it, walk away, never return to that dealer unless there is a serious problem. They`ll resent it if they had to give you a good deal and take it out on your vehicle.

I bought all that stuff, and that`s how I decided to call myself DuMouixe.

Although, the fabric protectant works well, I believe they used Roll-Off, 303, Maybe 3M. But no, frippin way worth $500... I called back the next day and they said, "We already had them install it, yeah, right."

The paint sealant, had to take it back 3 times for them to remove the water spots, in the process they dented and scratched the car, etched the glass, then cleared over their bad work to hide their mistakes.

Then never made it right.

I`ve been bandaging my hemmoraging paint, waiting for trade-in time.

Then they just put you on perpetual ignore and say things behind your back like, "Disgruntled Customer"

I`m not even mad, just wish they would be more honest in their endeavors towards all.

Does that answers it? of course, that`s just my opinion.

$500 buys alot of waxx.

Post Thanks / Like
    The dealership I work at (last day is next friday WAHOO!) applies a similar sealant. The stuff is a joke. It`s a pain in the *** to apply because it leaves streaks everywhere and trashes the already filthy MF`s we use. I can`t really comment on durability because I don`t know which cars that are brought in have had it applied and which haven`t. However I would bet my LIFE that they will not last anywhere close to advertised. On my first day I was trying to explain this to some coworkers and one of the service guys even agreed with me saying it`s junk and the customer is only paying for the warranty. And since 99% of customers don`t pay attention to their paint the dealer never has to worry about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ah yes, wave half a can of Scotch-Guard around inside the car, charge the customer half a grand for it. Very profitable and highly recommended by salesmen who make a commission on it.

Be sure to get the rust proofing, the under coating, the dealer prep, the paint sealant, etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    I guarantee you that for your $500 Scotchguard Treatment, they take a $4 can that you can buy in any grocery store and spray it on the seats.

Years ago I detailed for an Olds dealer. To put it politely, this guy was notable for the corners he cut in all areas of the business. You wouldn`t believe the stunts they used to pull, not the least of which was charging for work they didn`t do. I was instructed to get the paint shiny no matter what -- buff it right down to the color? No problem, as long as it was shiny and could fetch $$ at auction! And so on and on. About the only good part of it was that I developed skill with a rotary.

Post Thanks / Like
    The Scotchguard does work very well BUT you`re looking at under a year for protection, less if it`s a daily driver. Think about all the friction you apply to the fabric as you get in an dout of the truck and then moving in the seat while driving. Friction is what causes it to break down and eventually wear off.

I always tell my clients it will last anywhere from 6 months to a year and then time to re-apply. I only charge them about $180 for the full interior treatment on something the size of a suburban. If they get a spill I`ll clean it up then re-apply it.

Anthony
    "The Art & Science of Auto Detail"

Post Thanks / Like
    but it only works so well....if they spill a soda can in their car, I am not about to go over there and clean it and reapply for free!! I would charge them for the spill, and charge for the scotch guard reapply. It works against dirt and little stains from shoes and light stuff, not grease and soda/coffee spills

Post Thanks / Like
    I love this kind of stuff... It`s "sales tactics" they give you something free and you feel like they are taking care of you and you kind of owe them something I.E. your "business". I used to work for a high end carpet cleaner years ago and we learned all the tactics and did the "scotchguard" treatments. For anyone else scotchguard is good stuff just get it at walmart ~$5...

Zack

Thread Information