Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello my name is Paul, and me and my other friend are doing a detailing company and I was wondering some input. We start the car by cleaning the rims, and than work on bug and tar remover pre-wash. After that we have all 100% non-abrasive materials(micro-fiber technology) we wash the car and than let it dry and wax the outside with Mothers Carnuba cleaning wax(liquid) and remove them with terry cloths and than go over the car and clean the windowns and add compound for any other little scratches. I was wondering the input on the outside of the car and if i am using the right materials such as wax. Another note is that I did not include interior cleaning.

Post Thanks / Like
    Paul,

Check this out. http://www.guidetodetailing.com/

Good luck on your new venture.

Tom
    2 white Tacomas and 2 black Harleys. I got half-way smart.

Post Thanks / Like
    Boy, you are really going about it the wrong way. No offence, but right now you have no business telling anyone (consumers) that you are a car detailer...you clearly have a lot to learn. You really need to go work for someone who knows what they are doing first, so you can learn from them. Or, at the very least, you need to go apprentice (work for free while you learn) from a first-class detailer for about 10 days. Otherwise, you are going to learn some painful lessons the hard way, and you are not going to be doing a good. To say the least, you will be doing a disservice to yourself and to professional detailers as a whole. Seriously, you need to learn from someone who really knows their stuff.

There is a lot more to detailing than wiping wax on and off. It`s a science.

Good luck. And you obviously want to learn or you wouldn`t have posted here. This is a great place to gather information, but you still need some hands-on training.

Post Thanks / Like
    any PC`s being used?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RAG
    Boy, you are really going about it the wrong way. No offence, but right now you have no business telling anyone (consumers) that you are a car detailer...you clearly have a lot to learn. You really need to go work for someone who knows what they are doing first, so you can learn from them. Or, at the very least, you need to go apprentice (work for free while you learn) from a first-class detailer for about 10 days. Otherwise, you are going to learn some painful lessons the hard way, and you are not going to be doing a good. To say the least, you will be doing a disservice to yourself and to professional detailers as a whole. Seriously, you need to learn from someone who really knows their stuff.

There is a lot more to detailing than wiping wax on and off. It`s a science.

Good luck. And you obviously want to learn or you wouldn`t have posted here. This is a great place to gather information, but you still need some hands-on training.

Couldn`t have said it better myself.

I would highly recommend you do some research here and abroad on starting a detailing business, how to detail and wash automobiles the right way, and more importantly, starting a business period. You have to look into insurance, licenses, marketing, market research, enviromental laws in your area, etc., it`s just not what type of wax you use when it comes to running this type of business.
    "If you want to be rich - work. If you want to be clever - study. But if you want to be happy - do what you really like"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scud1373
    any PC`s being used?

I prefer Macs

Post Thanks / Like
    Im assuming this gent is a rather young lad making a fresh start guys..........
    Owner of West Coast Detail Supply.

Light travels faster then sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ajbarnes
    Couldn`t have said it better myself.

I would highly recommend you do some research here and abroad on starting a detailing business, how to detail and wash automobiles the right way, and more importantly, starting a business period. You have to look into insurance, licenses, marketing, market research, enviromental laws in your area, etc., it`s just not what type of wax you use when it comes to running this type of business.

agreed...i`m actually starting my own small, out of garage, detailing "business", I`v spent probably about 5-6 months researching products and techniques. I have also been practicing on my families cars for the past few months also.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by a.k.a. Patrick

Don`t be so hard on him! Instead of criticism, give some advice!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by a.k.a. Patrick

I agree. One thing that none of us has mentioned is to start small. Perhaps start by doing simple wash and wax jobs and "doing them right". Sort of like when we mowed our neighbors` yards when we were kids. I`ll bet that there are lots of folks who would settle for a simple wash and wax at a reasonable (cheap) price.

Paul, you have a long way to go in learning how to "do it right".

I`m a darn good "polisher and waxer" but I`m not a "detailer" and I`ve been messin` with polishing and waxing for over 45 years.

Tom
    2 white Tacomas and 2 black Harleys. I got half-way smart.

Post Thanks / Like
    OK, I`ll try some advice.

I`m guessing that you are doing a pretty good job on your own vehicle(s), and those of family and friends. You`ve learned some techniques, and seem interested in learning more, which is why you`re here.

That`s what I can do for my own vehicle, and for a few friends. I don`t want to go any farther than that.

In order to do jump into a detailing business, you will have to be able to cope with a myriad of problems that will come up. There will be problems with vehicles that you may not have ever seen before, and will need to come up with an answer for.

Also, it will be important to have the basic techniques down so that you can put out a quality product on a consistent basis. That will be important to keeping customers happy.

And, believe me, working for paying customers is a heck of a lot different than improving a friend`s ride.

I would say that it might be wise to keep the business either on the back burner, or work on a very small scale as you acquire some more seasoning. It will be important to be confident about your work in order to be a success. Remember, it may be a paying job to you, but the car you are working is very likely an important possession to the owner.

Of course, hanging out here doesn`t hurt. There`s a lot of knowledge to be found here.

In my opinion, if you keep your business in line with your abilities and confidence level, that may be a path to follow.

I chose not to give specific advice on detailing; there`s so many others here who can do it better than I. I thought a little food for thought might be in order (guess that`s the teacher in me).

You seem to be intent in chasing a dream. Be careful out there, but go for it! Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    I myself will soon be jumping into the business, and from what I can see, starting off slow is a good idea. Work on family/friend cars for a while until you`ve gotten to work with plenty of different paintworks and conditions. Then when you feel consistent, move up another step.

Don`t try to offer $600 details right away. You`ve gotta be honest with yourself and know that you`re not worth that yet. Stick to the basics for a while to bolster your skillset, and watch these forums and try a myriad of products to get a sense of what tools you`re going to want to use. Yes, it will cost money. Every business requires some investment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Like the others have mentioned, you have a lot to learn. Not just about detailing and the techniques but about business as well.

Where I am situated the market for auto detailing is saturated. As an individual I gotta set myself apart from the masses by doing a really good job for a cheap price. But don`t associate being cheap with doing a bad job. I guess it would all come down to building a customer base and a reputation.

Be prepeared to do some free work as well. Anyways, good luck and have fun!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KC_MPWR
    agreed...i`m actually starting my own small, out of garage, detailing "business", I`v spent probably about 5-6 months researching products and techniques. I have also been practicing on my families cars for the past few months also.

Bingo. This is a good approach.

Post Thanks / Like
    Didn`t mean to jump all over the lad...it`s just that there are way too many bad detailers giving "professionals" a bad name. Unfortunately, I`d say about 90% of so-called professional detailers are complete "hacks" - at leas the ones in my area are. I guess it just bugs me that anyone/everyone thinks they can be a "professional" detailer at the drop of a hat, just cause they know to wipe off the dash with a wet rag and wipe some wax on. In a way I guess I should be happy most professionals are hacks, as it is easy as pie to differentiate myself by doing a better job. In my area, without exageration, about 95% of consumers vehicles have at least a moderate abount of rust contamintion, obviously needing to be clayed before waxing, yet there are many detailers around here who never clay, calling it a "complete detail" when the clean the interior with a wet rag and then wax the car - then I come across these people and have to convince them why they should pay $250 for a complete detail when they last paid $140.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information