Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi everyone,

I am wondering if this clay takes off wax? I would like to clay my car each car wash, but I want to know if it also takes off car wax, Klass AIO, etc.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Per David B:

"Sonus SFX Ultra Fine Detailing Clay is so fine that it will not leave microscopic scratches. It cannot be over used. In fact, Sonus SFX Ultra Fine Detailing Clay is so fine that it will not remove most waxes."

Now what is ment by "most waxes" is unknown. :nixweiss You may want to send David a PM or email to clarify.

Deanski
    DR SHINE
    Swanky Shine (tm)
    What`s in YOUR garage? 997 Carrera S.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve used it on all kinds of LSPs. Whether it`ll compromise them depends how you clay. If you`re as gentle about it as I am, it won`t strip an appreciable amount of any LSP. I even had to work a bit to cut through a fresh application of Meg`s #5! But if you clay aggressively (as in, more so than you oughta IMO) it`ll compromise the LSP. But IMO you`d really have to work at it to cut *through* a healthy coat of LSP.

AIO isn`t much of a LSP though, when used by itself. KSG is another story, I spot-clay my KSG with the Sonus green at every wash and it doesn`t do much to it. The areas you clay a lot will fail before the areas you`ve never clayed, but it still takes a long time for that to happen.

Post Thanks / Like
    Whoa. No need to clay every wash...that`s way over doing it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe not the best idea for everyone, but combined with my marring-free wash technique it works great for me. Been doing it since detailing clay came out in the early `90s so I have a long-term timeframe/perspective from which to evaluate how it works for me. I don`t see any downside as it doesn`t even compromise my LSPs. But I clay *very* gently and only where it`s needed. Seems there`s always some spot that could use it at every wash, but again, it`s probably because of how I wash.

Again, I`m not saying it`s right for everyone, but with no marring for years on end and LSPs that last a long time, I`ve found what works for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Claying every wash is deffinately to much. You`re just wasting money. Majority of people out their NEVER clay but wax there cars 10 times a year. Plus you`re just wasting some serious money on clay bars. I clay 2 times per year. After winter, and before winter. I`ll spot clay once a month.

Post Thanks / Like
    With the price of clay going up I would take it easy using it up. Do it when needed...
    "Life is not measured by the breathes we take, but by the moments that take our breathes away" :punk:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris223
    Claying every wash is deffinately to much...you`re just wasting some serious money on clay bars...

If a surface needs cleaing beyond what the wash does, I do that cleaning with clay. If the clay cleans something off (you can see it on the clay), and I like both the process and the results, then what`s the problem with doing it that way? The expense of clay/lube isn`t significant to me.

I`m not gonna get into an :argue here...I`ve already said that this is what *I* do based on literally hundreds (thousands? Could be..) of times doing this and that if other people want to do somethig else that`s cool with me. But it`s not like there`s a functional downside. I wash, clay and apply LSPs; my vehicles look great and I`m happy- no reason for me to change what I do.

Post Thanks / Like
    By the way, accumulator, when I said claying every time was way over doing it, I was not referring to your post...as I trust your ability over a NOOB`s and I know you only spot treat. But generally speaking, to clay an entire vehicle (or even most of it) every time you wash is way over doing it - clay is abrasive. Not to mention this would be extremely time consuming.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RAG
    By the way, accumulator, when I said claying every time was way over doing it, I was not referring to your post...as I trust your ability over a NOOB`s and I know you only spot treat..

OK, gotcha, sorry if I was a bit quick to get defensive. Yeah, my versions of doing some things are pretty different from the norm. That`s something I gotta watch as a noobie might take my methods out of context and get into trouble. Every time somebody posts about how clay takes off their wax I`m left all so I *must* do it differently than many people...

Post Thanks / Like
    There is a big difference between claying an Autopian vehicle and claying a neglected customer`s vehicle. When I clay a customer`s vehicle, I usually apply 10-20 lbs of pressure, as I`m generally removing a bunch of rust contamination...this would remove wax for sure. On the other hand, when I clay my Landcruiser, I probly apply about 1 lb of pressure which does not seem to remove my LSP. So I think we are in aggreement.

Post Thanks / Like
    Lol I think it`s funny when people are trying to tell Accumulator he`s wrong . I`ll trust you Accumulator

Post Thanks / Like
    If a clay is mild enough to not remove an LSP I don’t see how claying every wash could be a problem. (The really aggressive clays that can leave marring by themselves are a different story.)

If you don’t have any contaminants claying could be a waste of resources but the car’s being washed because it’s dirty. If any of the crud is bonded beyond what a shampoo can remove claying is beneficial.

The primary killer of paint is chemical erosion. Clay removes chemically active contaminants that will eat into the finish.

PC.

Post Thanks / Like
    It`s interesting that the last box of Clay Magic I bought,(the blue bar) recommended to clay after every wash. Now, of course we know they want to sell clay but it`s kinda scary to think some people who have no idea what they are doing might follow this recommendation.

I actually think that spot claying frequently is a nice idea. I find that my daily driver is quick to load up with junk on the horizontal surfaces.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by awahl63
    Lol I think it`s funny when people are trying to tell Accumulator he`s wrong . I`ll trust you Accumulator

LMAO!!! I agree!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information